Where are all the guys that went to college intead of the military??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to make an observation with no intention to piss off anyone who has the tenacity and courage to serve, but... I have noticed that the vast majority of those who listed their service record in general stated it was some of the best time of ther lives and they loved it, however if that is truely the case why did/do more of those serving not do longer service time (20 year retrement) etc. I noticed that about six years seems to be a good average based solely on these that listed. I mean if it's a great gig why quit? I have nothing but the utmost respect for them no matter the length of time given.

I went to work in the oil field upon graduation of high school got married and eventually went to college earned my Masters in Criminal Justice Adminstration from East Central University Ada, OK class of 2000 got a job as a probation and parole officer. Put my wife through college and she is a RN DON at local hospital. No regrets.

j-dubb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
College straight after High School, graduated from UCO. Tested really high in some tests I took in High School and had people calling me and talking to me about my test scores and joining some branch of the military. Decided to go to college instead on a baseball scholarship as that had always been my dream. Realized my future in Professional Baseball had zero chance so now I basically have an expensive piece of paper called a degree. Self-employed in the Oil Business, if I could do it all over again I would of served and skipped college altogether and I could still be doing what I do everyday for a living.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to make an observation with no intention to piss off anyone who has the tenacity and courage to serve, but... I have noticed that the vast majority of those who listed their service record in general stated it was some of the best time of ther lives and they loved it, however if that is truely the case why did/do more of those serving not do longer service time (20 year retrement) etc. I noticed that about six years seems to be a good average based solely on these that listed. I mean if it's a great gig why quit? I have nothing but the utmost respect for them no matter the length of time given.

I went to work in the oil field upon graduation of high school got married and eventually went to college earned my Masters in Criminal Justice Adminstration from East Central University Ada, OK class of 2000 got a job as a probation and parole officer. Put my wife through college and she is a RN DON at local hospital. No regrets.

I can't say why more didn't stay in longer - a career is a different kind of commitment than just serving a term. We have also been at war for 10 years continuously now and even though it is low intensity conflict it still burns people out and keeps them away from home.

Have you never done anything that you were very proud of and cherished the memories or camaraderie but still felt it was time to move on? It could be something akin to that. I stayed for 24 but I understand that it isn't for everyone.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean, are you implying that one is better than the other, or are you just curious or just creating conversation? Sorry if I appear to be a hardass
I started this thread for the guys here that didn't go to the military and went to college instead. No hidden agenda. Some people just were not cut out for college. Some not cut out for military.

expertzx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost joined the Marine Corps at age 18, but my dad talked me out of it. I wound up going to college and then medical school and residency. I still think about joining, maybe just the reserves, to give my contribution. I'm pretty sure they need more physicians in the military.

Latest posts

Top Bottom