Where did you buy your first gun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First new gun ........Colt Combat Commander Nickel .45 from Southwest Shooters. Paid around $234 in early '70's.
Back then I think background check was thru OKCPD.

Boy..... now I feel really old. lol...

Last edited:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next to the AT&T on main street in norman there is pawn shop where I bought my Mossberg 12ga this past Nov. My lady saw me drooling over it and even fondled it for a bit and then she finally said 'well i guess you found yourself an early birthday present' :)

Then at a gun show the last weekend of Nov. (about a week or two after the mossberg purchase) I bought my first handgun and filled out all the paperwork and paid for it. The table owner checked my ID and i was just shy of 21, had to wait until the next weekend to pick up my XD on my b-day. the longest week of my life it felt like as I waited haha

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Otasco was like a little Wal-Mart, before Wal-Mart. You could buy anything in that place. I think Wal-Mart killed them.

Oklahoma Tar (that's Tire with feeling) And Supply COmpany.

But we just always called it Oklahoma Tar :)

Oh ya... I've darkened their doors many many times. I think I still have some 8mm surplus ammo in cardboard boxes they used to sell.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1968 or 1969. Sears 16 gauge pump knock off of a winchester model 1300 i think. I do not remember the price. second gun was a savage side by side 12 gauge (i passed on a winchester model 12 for the side by side- bad move). could not hit a thing with that side by side as it kicked like a mule.

I do remember saving up and wanting a .22 rifle for i think less than $20. also I wanted but did not buy a semi-auto shotgun for about $65 at Otasco. I really wish I had bought those guns for those prices would probably still have them.

My mom was strongly aganist buying guns and I had to fight and fight to get that 16 gauge. I had plenty of spending money to buy the two guns mentioned above due to mowing lawns but she would not let me buy them.

sadly no one in my family owned guns or knew anything about them. I had a great uncle that helped a little and a friend and his dad that taught me a lot.

i can remember almost buying a ruger 10/22 several times at Service Merchandise for about $50.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma Tar (that's Tire with feeling) And Supply COmpany.

But we just always called it Oklahoma Tar :)

Oh ya... I've darkened their doors many many times. I think I still have some 8mm surplus ammo in cardboard boxes they used to sell.

I learn something new everyday. I did love that store when I was young.

Latest posts

Top Bottom