Which AR-15 Lower is Better - lots of brands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jam Master Jay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brands don't matter when it comes to lower receivers unless you care about the rollmark. Just know what you're getting since there are polymer receivers out there too, which are naturally not the same as forged receivers. Some people believer polymer lowers are crap and aren't durable, other people have confidence in them. There are also machined billet receivers out there.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a pic of an old GM Hydramatic A1 (since converted to an A2) that was issued to one of my students recently:

img.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_GMA2A1.jpg

I'd give JB's left arm for a transferable Hydra-Matic

Buckh1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost all lowers are the same, different roll stamps and name. From my understanding only a few company produce them and they are stamped by who every buys them. Look for sales. My current budget build.
PSA lower $ 79 and LPK $54, A2 colt stock Used $10, and Armalite 20 " A2 upper $525. $668. Except for the stock all are new parts.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to be nit-picky, but there is no such thing as a milspec semi-auto receiver. The term "milspec" is tossed around by many manufacturers, but the only companies that make true milspec lowers in accordance with the technical data package is Colt and FN (also H&R and GM Hydramatic during the VN era). A company called Balimoy also made replacement lower receivers for the military. Here are some pics of one:

Aren't there AR-15 receivers made identically to full-auto M16 receivers (i.e. shelf, width, etc) from way back when - before they started milling/drilling them differently so you couldn't drop-in a full-auto fire control group? Or did you always have to modify the AR-15 to drop in a FCG?

Here's some interesting info on the difference between a full-auto M16 receiver and a semi-auto AR-15 receiver:
http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/registeredreceiver.htm

stolar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can catch the Palmetto blemished lowers cheap when they have them in stock. I got two this week for $59 each plus $14 shipping to my FFL. They each have a scuff on them but look great for the price.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one that is a Spikes (5.56), one RRA (9mm), one S&W (5.56 and temporarily 300 AAC Blackout), and one CMMG (future home for the 300 Blackout). The only noticeable difference is the RRA. It is a tighter fit with the upper, which is also a RRA. Yes, all the uppers have all been on all the lowers. Interest of science, that sort of thing. They are all great.

shorton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fatboy Tactical in Bixby has Surplus Arms lowers for 70 bucks for OSA members and Mega lowers for 120. Just picked up the Surplus Arms and a PSA lower yesterday. Both seem to be identical except for the markings. Would recommend Fatboy Tactical to anyone, great place, lot's of cool AR stuff, nice people.

shortyokc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
new to the ar world and been looking for a lower, been searching the forums for awhile and decided between stag, spikes, surplus arms, and palmetto. i would really like to buy local so i dont have to wait 7-10 days. i know surplus lowers kinda skimp on the finish and everyone that owns one agrees from what i read but still love them on the ar15 forum, palmetto are eithier never in stock and are now $99. everyone that has stags and spikes have no complaints just dont know where to find them local. i checked fatboy tactical and they show sold out online for saa.

Latest posts

Top Bottom