Will a 9m get it done for home protection just as well as a 40cal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both a Glock 17 and a M&P9 as HD weapons, so clearly I think 9mm is enough. Honestly, if you look at what training experts say, I think most of them agree that the best HD weapon is an AR because 30 rounds of 5.56 beats any handgun. DocGKR has some pretty interesting data on m4carbine showing that there is less danger of over penetration into neighboring homes with the 5.56 compared to a shotgun/handgun as well. Pretty interesting stuff.

Regarding the 9mm, with modern HP ammo, such as 147gr Federal HST, which is what I carry, there are marginal gains with a larger caliber and significant disadvantages (capacity). 17+1 is still 2 more rounds than 15+1. A miss is a miss, and the effectiveness of a hit is more dependent on placement than anything else. I want as many bullets as possible.

While the saying has been for many years that most self defense encounters have been resolved with 2-3 rounds, those sentiments were made at a different time. Criminal behavior has developed increasingly effective tactics recently, including increased criminal participants. Now you have 3-4 criminals breaking into a home rather than a solo burglar. From what I've read from the statements of those in the profession (LEOs/trainers), most crime scenes show that the shooters shoot to slide lock. I'd rather have the capacity advantage.

With these considerations, I would suggest for HD use 1) an AR and 2) a high capacity 9mm (Glock 17, M&P9, PPQ, P30). If you want to use the same handgun to later carry concealed, get a "compact" 9mm (Glock 19/26, M&P9c, P2000sk). Those would be my suggestions. And don't forget the importance of putting a light (x300/TLR1s) on it.

In addition, I think we often spend a lot of time thinking only about armament at the expense of other considerations. Effective outdoor lighting, home security systems, effective use of indoor lighting, etc - all go into keeping your home secure. Good luck!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i290.photobucket.com_albums_ll243_bucket407_6mmflamethrower.jpg

This. Plus you can use it to start the BBQ grill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom