Ya Know Ya Live in the Country When...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...ya find a note like this, in your mailbox at the end of the driveway:

"Dear Neighbor,

Our cow escaped Monday morning the 15th, and was last seen in this area. If you see a red cow with a stubby tail, could you please call ###-####? Thank you very much.

Jxxxx and Axxxx Kxxxx"

You can bet I'll be a-looking!

Some years back, an old boy came down the 800' gravel drive, well after dark, looking fer his dachshund that got away from him. Woke us up by throwing stones on our upstairs windows. Sheesh Shocked - Coulda got a really rude response that way. Anyway - Yes - we'd look for the pooch. That was when we decided that locking the gate - ALL THE TIME - would be a good idea. Hmm

We wouldn't move back to the city on a bet!

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I hear that. Just the other night coming home kinda late and about hit one of the neighbors cows. Call em up and say "Sorry to wake you but your cow is out." They ask "Are you sure its ours?" I reply, "Well it has your brand on its butt, but if you don't want it I will saddle my horse and have my wife hook up the trailer." "No we will get up and thanks for the call."

Guess I will have to keep buying beef for a while. LOL

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
haha we had one of ours get out last winter during one of the better snows we had. its amazing where those damn tracks lead to in just a few short hours, that girl covered some ground!!

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have cows in my yard several days out of the week, so much that I just consider them lawn ornaments now. They aren't just one folks cows, but several. They leave the gates open for the cattle to migrate to different pastures (at their convenience) a large percentage of the year. I don't mind, except for when they get to traipsing around the garden, it requires a rump-full of birdshot before the bovine start realizing the cantelopes aren't there for speedbumps.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't imagine what it is like for your kids now, ol' days, no problem, we just took care of it. Herded the cattle in, and back then the rustling was as prevalent as it is now. I would not want to run in to one of Oklahoma Cattlemans's people looking for rustlers back then or now. Those guys know their stuff. Sorry, just remembering the ol' days.
Lone Wolf

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I seriously have a yard full of someone's cattle, I would be pouring a bag of corn in the stock trailer and hauling them to the auction. They run a good one in Leach every week BTW. I have had a neighbors calf get out of his fence and somehow or another wound up in my round pen in my back yard once. A simple phone call fixed that and it wasn't a big deal but constant cattle in the yard would make them my cattle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I seriously have a yard full of someone's cattle, I would be pouring a bag of corn in the stock trailer and hauling them to the auction. They run a good one in Leach every week BTW. I have had a neighbors calf get out of his fence and somehow or another wound up in my round pen in my back yard once. A simple phone call fixed that and it wasn't a big deal but constant cattle in the yard would make them my cattle.

Trust me. That attitude would end up with yourself in the crossbar hotel.

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trust me. That attitude would end up with yourself in the crossbar hotel.

Trust me I'm one of the easiest guys to get along with but if someone elses cows were on my property long enough to be considered yard ornaments they would be getting a new home one way or the other.

Latest posts

Top Bottom