For CCW: Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P-3AT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLOCKinator

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So it seems all my guns have a specific purpose in which they are used, but I don't have one for CCW. Since I'll be getting my license as soon as it's processed (yawn), I was looking at either the Ruger LCP .380 or Keltec P3AT .380.
This is the problem tho, I couldn't really see myself wearing a IWB because I usually wear tight t-shirts or a beater, I'm not into the whole baggy clothes thing (shirt-wise) since I spend way too much time in the gym for that. lol. Plus, I don't want to print.
So I usually wear cargo shorts or pants which are more baggy and thus am looking for a "pocket" gun.
It seems the specs and design are VERY close between the LCP and P3AT. Since I'll be carrying, I'm basically looking for light weight, so the NAA'a are out, and I'm not rich so the Seecamp and Kahr are both out. LOL.
BTW, I'm not that big, 5'10" and 180lb, and low bodyfat so I'm afraid I'll print if I wear a IWB.
Any ideas??

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry my LCP in a wallet holster. When it is in my back pocket it looks like a wallet. I'll post a picture this evening.

Dakota10986

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Kel-Tec P-32 or the .380 are both really good options for pocket carry. I carry a NAA .22 Mag Mini revolver and it's actually not bad either...it's smaller but since all of it is stainless steal it ends up weighing pretty close to what the small Kel-Tec's weigh. Plus it's cheaper. Like...two thirds what you'll pay for the kel-tecs.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for pocket carry of the LCP.

The Kel-Tec is a fine piece if you can find them, but I just liked the fit and finish of the Ruger better.

I carry in my back pocket in a Nemesis Holster and it prints just like a wallet/cell phone in most of the jeans and shorts. In a few light-weight/summer dress pants, you can kinda squint and see it as a small pistol.....

While my LCP is primarily a backup piece, with a P7 or a G30 or a Commander-sized 1911 as my primary....I feel just fine with the LCP as the only weapon on me for occasions like you've described (when I'm in shorts and t-shirt).

Joe's wallet holster seems to be the best carry option I've seen, just haven't been able to find one like it:tounge:, so I'm stuck with my Nemesis....

Good luck finding either of the 2 you listed out, and even BETTER luck finding ammo for it.:faint:

farrelltravis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have got the LCP along with other guns. The LCP makes it more ofter in my pocket when we go to the lake. It even fits nicely in a waterproof container in our boat.

I have never shot or owned the P3AT but I do love the LCP. It really is kind of fun to shoot also!!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, I'm not that big, 5'10" and 180lb, and low bodyfat so I'm afraid I'll print if I wear a IWB.
Any ideas??

if you wear tight clothes then get some looser. depending on what you are carrying and how, you shouldn't print regardless. and printing is one of those things that if it happens by accident it is just that. putting a shotgun down your pants and walking around when it is obvious is something else. lol

Ridgeway

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

My husband and I are both bodybuilders so I understand the low bodyfat and workout clothes etc. We carry the Kel-tec32 for a couple of reasons. Ammo is a little easier to find then the 380 recoil is a lot less and with the rough/sharp grip on the Kel-tec that makes a big difference. He carries in the " Holdster" in his back pocket which as you see you actually shoot with it in the holster so it makes it easier for his big hands to grip such a small gun. It's also small enough to throw in a side pocket of the gym bag. I carry mine IWB about 11 o'clock for cross draw. I carry a S&W .40 in my purse but wanted something to have on my person. A gun in the purse doesn't do any good when someone grabs your purse or you can't get to your purse. Being a girl I wear some tight tops and shorts and never print.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just recently got a Kel-Tec p-3at to carry as a BUG. I plan on IWB crossdraw and IWB spare mag carrier (if I can find one).

With this small a pistol IWB carry should be no problem no matter what your size.

Latest posts

Top Bottom