Crossbow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a crossbow,most of the time i will be using my compound,but sometimes i might want to hunt the ground and do;nt have time to put up a tree stand does anybody have a brand model they would recommend or a place that are crossbow experts looking to be cheap spent about 500 on it thanks for any info

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in Arrowhead archery in the city last week. They had 3-4 crossbow comolete packages. Crossbow, scope, bolts and cocker. I believe they were 300 to 450 depending on model.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excaliber is considered top of the line. then parker,tenpoint,/sixpoint/wicked ridge,
Then they go down from there.
I bought a barnett wildcat c5 off ebay last march complete with scope,bolts and quiver
for $165 like new. That setup is $400 at the store.
Didn't know if I would like it or not so didn't want to pay a lot.
Don't know how other brands shoot but this thing shoots so fast you can't see the bolt fly
and shoots 4 bolts in a 3 inch group at 40 yards.
I'm thinking of trying those luminocs so I can see where the bolt goes and if I hit the deer.
only thing I don't like about it is it weighs 8-9 pounds.
I think all those higher quality and dollar brands weigh in around 5-6 pounds.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excalibur is great, but lots of people put TenPoints or Parkers ahead of them. Depends on who you talk to.

Couple of drawbacks with the exaclibur is they only make recurves crossbows which are very wide and louder because they require more draw weight to shoot an arrow the same speed as a compound crossbow. Excalibur likes to make a big deal out of the "ease of maintenance" issue, but if you buy a quality US made compound crossbow they are just a dependable as your vertical compound bow. Maintenace is almost nothing with a quality compound. Again, Excaliburs are very good bows, but each person has their own preference.

I prefer compounds, because they are narrower. In your price range I would take a serious look at the Wicked Ridge crossbows made by Tenpoint. Made in the USA with a lifetime guarantee and you can get them starting at $399. (Excaliburs are made in Canada)

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ElkStalkR makes some good points, let me add a couple.

ALL crossbows are cumbersome, regardless of brand or design. Compounds are narrower than recurves, which is an advantage, but when the string breaks, gets cut by a broadhead (easier to do on a crossbow) or wears out (it will!), it's a trip back to an archery shop to find a bow press that is necessary to install a new string on a compound. With a recurve crossbow, you can change it yourself with no tools or equipment needed.

The compound crossbows I have shot seemed to be easier to cock than the recurves because of the "let off". That may be important to you and is an advantage for compounds.

There are MANY accounts of people who have accidentally dry fired an Excalibur with absolutely no damage to the bow. Never seen or heard of a compound crossbow surviving a dry fire. Most compound dry fires require that, at a minimum, the limbs be replaced.

Do some research regarding limb problems and customer service issues with the other brands mentioned before you decide.

If you have a problem with an Excalibur, you can call or e-mail the guy that owns the company directly.

I am not against compound crossbows, they do have some advantages. I have been hunting with crossbows for over 15 years, I have shot many different brands, my choice is not based on cost, I could buy and use any crossbow on the market and I choose Excalibur.

Good luck with your choice!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also choose Excalibur. my main reason was the ability to change a string in the field, and stay in the hunt. I have a sling for it that makes it very easy to carry into and out of the field.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any compound worth its salt has an anti-dry fire device, so this is not a worry.

So long as you don't take a worn out string into the field, shooting a compound is no more unreliable than a recurve. I am sure nobody wants to take any crossbow into the field with a worn string. Granted it is easier to change the string on a recurve, but a trip to the archery shop every 3-5 years (TenPoints reccomendation) is pretty simple too!

How often does something unexpected happened to a good string in the field?? Rarely, is my opinion. To me its worth the every third year "hassle" to replace a string and get a quiter more compact bow.

I realize its still makes some "nervous" that something might happen, and thats fine too. Really its just up to the individual to decide.

Latest posts

Top Bottom