Deer at 500 Yards?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take the shot if you can consistently hit 6" steel at 500 yds.

Though I would say that you better be using a caliber that is still capable of delivering serious energy at that range. We're not talking the venerable .243 that so many OK hunters are so fond of...

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If conditions were right, (ie: no 40mph crosswind, deer relaxed, unaware and standing still) I would not hesitate. I've made that shot several times in the past on deer and thousands of times on targets.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunting? Well, anytime you can yell "HEY DEER, FAWK YOU MAN!!!" before you take your shot and not risk spooking the deer...it's really more "shooting" than it is "hunting". :D

Ethical? Just as ethical as all the 100,000+ slob rifle hunters that wing lead and empty guns at close range every Thanksgiving. A few ballstics nerds that think it's cool to play deer sniper aren't much of a concern to me considering how many goobers with rifles take to the woods and fields every gun season, the vast majority of whom goob it up at close range. There are issues such as marking the shot spot and tracking that MoBoost pointed out. But considering how many untrained, ignorant hunters we have...and how few long range nerds we have...I don't worry about them.

I don't find it unethical in that regard. That being said, stories about long shots on big game don't impress me in the slightest. I'm impressed by people like our posters here who get up close and personal with deer, especially the ones hunting public land. A 500yd shot is an impressive shot; it's not an impressive hunt.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If conditions were right, (ie: no 40mph crosswind, deer relaxed, unaware and standing still) I would not hesitate. I've made that shot several times in the past on deer and thousands of times on targets.

I agree. We shot 500 yards regularly at the range. I have no problem with that distance as long as I have a good rest and the conditions are right. Now on the other hand, if you have never shot that distance and you are totally relying on luck, you should not take the shot.

You need to know your guns capabilities as well as your own. I have a 15 Year old son that can make that shot 10 out of 10 times under the right conditions. However, you need to practice it. The more you shot the more comfortable you are going to be with the shot. Period, End of story…

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunting? Well, anytime you can yell "HEY DEER, FAWK YOU MAN!!!" before you take your shot and not risk spooking the deer...it's really more "shooting" than it is "hunting". :D

Ethical? Just as ethical as all the 100,000+ slob rifle hunters that wing lead and empty guns at close range every Thanksgiving. A few ballstics nerds that think it's cool to play deer sniper aren't much of a concern to me considering how many goobers with rifles take to the woods and fields every gun season, the vast majority of whom goob it up at close range. There are issues such as marking the shot spot and tracking that MoBoost pointed out. But considering how many untrained, ignorant hunters we have...and how few long range nerds we have...I don't worry about them.

I don't find it unethical in that regard. That being said, stories about long shots on big game don't impress me in the slightest. I'm impressed by people like our posters here who get up close and personal with deer, especially the ones hunting public land. A 500yd shot is an impressive shot; it's not an impressive hunt.

HEY DEER FAWK YOU MAN....

ROFL! You never let me down brother.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
HEY DEER FAWK YOU MAN....

ROFL! You never let me down brother.

I would venture to say that I am a lot more accurate and consistent at 500 that you are using a bow at 35 or 40 yards! It is like any thing you do. Practice makes perfect!

You can not tell me if you seen the biggest deer of your life time and you knew you could make the shot, you would not take it! I say Bull ****!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have taken 5 deer between 490y and 675y with my .280AI. I have had the opportunity to shoot at many more at those ranges but shooting conditions were not right, so I didnt consider shooting at them. I've put 100's of rounds thru this rifle so I'm comfortable with it. These five shots were actually taken off of a shooting bench next to landowners barn overlooking a wheat field with zero wind and I knew my exact distances and my ballistics, so I feel like these were within my "ethical capabilities". I usually bow hunt with a Hoyt Sky longbow, I wont shoot at anything over 20y, which I feel that's my ethical effective range. It's all relative to ones capabilities, just like everything else.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would venture to say that I am a lot more accurate and consistent at 500 that you are using a bow at 35 or 40 yards with a bow! It is like any thing you do. Practice makes perfect!

You can not tell me if you seen the biggest deer of your life time and you knew you could make the shot, you would not take it! I say Bull ****!

I have no idea what you are even trying to say here, brother. I wish I did, but I don't even know what you're arguing with me about.

I don't have a problem with people taking long range shots, provided it's within the range they can effectively put shots in a kill zone-sized target, minus a bit to account for the variables brought into play when shooting at a live animal in the field. More power to you. I simply said it doesn't impress me. That's just my personal opinion.

More accurate with a rifle at 500 yds than I am with a bow at 35? Sure, very possible. I dunno why you want to flop 'em out and get out the tape measures tho, as there's one thing I've never claimed to be and that's a great shot with any weapon. Also, I don't shoot 35 yards at live game with my bow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom