Deer at 500 Yards?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's exactly what I do.

I haven't read the whole thread to know if someone mentioned this, but you might attend some of the long range matches in western OKlahoma to get a feel for how it's done. (i.e. equipment) Also what is possible, there are a lot of shooters in OKlahoma that can reach well beyond 500 yards with precision.
Our range out near Enid has steel targets set up out to 500 yards. It is lots of fun. I haven't tried it since my eye surgery but hope to do better with the new peepers. I use iron sights so I'm not sure what to expect.

Michael

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those that have the ability and equipment required to do it aren't likely to be bothered by the rants of those who can't, telling them that they shouldn't!!

That's always the funny thing on the hunting forum to me, and why I tend to take a jab now and then, just to see how people defend their position. If you're confident AND secure with the way you hunt, you ain't likely to fly off the handle at every criticism. Anyone who reads my posts here knows that I often say that if you're not taking a less-than-ideal shot every now and then, you ain't hunting hard enough. For example, I hunt in some areas of the woods that are thickern' snot. I can, have and will continue to shoot through brush with a rifle. Shots many people would not take. If someone wants to say I shouldn't take those shots, they can tell me as I'm dragging my deer out. I'd think 500 yard shooters would feel the same way...

These "less-than-ideal" situations are just something you slowly figure out on your own/gain confidence in. I sure wouldn't encourage a new hunter to take some of the shots I do. Get out there, put your time in, watch some deer and figure out what you can do. Then do it. Hunter ethics is a personal thing. If you have a conscience, you know if you're right or wrong. You shouldn't NEED internet feedback as validation. If you do, it looks like you doubt yourself.

Lastly, as far as the people that say you should never criticize another hunter's ethics as long as they are legal, let's throw this out there: There is no regulation/law saying you must shoot a deer in the vitals. I could go out and intentionally shoot deer in legs. If I came here bragging and posting pictures of leg pieces I've blown off intentionally, I bet everyone here would jump all over me (and rightfully so). Legal does not equal ethical...I guess this confusion is why they have to spell it out in hunter safety courses. Again, if you're not insecure about your methods, you're not likely to be bothered by claims of unethical conduct either. Defensiveness is a telling trait.

Ever see the Seinfeld where George is freaks out when one the woman doesn't like him? He must have everyone like him all the times or it makes him uneasy. Some of you guys are the George Costanzas of the woods.

If everyone who "hunted for themselves and not other people" actually did so...you'd never see anyone getting up in arms over the slightest perceived criticism. Now, go kill some deer. All of you, dammit. :D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some bullets don't expand at all at close range, while others practically explode. I shot a deer several years ago at less than 10 yards with a 120 grain ballistic tip out of my 264. The vital organs literally poured out of the cavity like spaghetti sauce.

I think that's where a lot of the misconceptions come from. Bullets back in the day weren't stout enough to handle the velocity those new fangled magnums were getting.

True. Early wildcatters found that jacketed bullets like the .22-250 couldn't hold together at the velocities they were trying to attain.
Technology back in the day was focused on velocity, not bullet construction like it is today.
These are great times in the science of ammunition. You can go to walmart and find bullets for long range and short range in the same caliber. Thin skinned, heavy skinned, and varmint.

Latest posts

Top Bottom