Gun safe rec's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a gun safe that will go in the garage. I plan to bolt it into the concrete.

I'm not a rich guy, would like to keep price down as low as possible. My main concern is theft. Are there brands that are known to be easy to break into? Will most places deliver safes when I buy? Are there any places people recommend that I look to for a better price?

Any and all hints/help/rec's are greatly appreciated.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BEAR safes are my fav for one reason alone. There is no external dial or keypad. Why is this a factor? Because a thief will use your tool in that garage to try and gain entry. While they may not be able to open it, they will destroy the keypad of dial with your drill, crow bar, sledge hammer, etc. then you get to pay someone $500 to come replace it. This will happen EVERY time a thief finds your safe. For some reason they don't see a safe and decide its impossible, they see a safe as a challenge. Some other safe brands may have this same design but I'm not sure which ones.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If theft not fire is your biggest concern than a bear is fine. Double "job box" type locks kind of a pita to open and keys do get lost. The best advice I can give is buy the biggest safe you can afford. Because you will inevitably put all kinds of valuable stuff besides guns in it. I have a liberty "fat boy" 64 and a smaller liberty and am looking for another. I will probably end up with either another fat boy or a Lincoln liberty. And if you buy a safe from a dealer not a "big box store" yes for a fee they will deliver and install. I recommend that you bolt them down like you stated. I do not like the electronic keypad type locks at all. The liberty offered the best theft and fire rating I could find. I brought mine home and installed them myself with the help of two friends we got it inside and in place rather easy. Just used a few pieces of schedule 40 1" PVC to act as rollers. I got mine at h&h during their annual safe sale. it's an investment in some awesome peace of mind for me. Good luck.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BEAR safes are my fav for one reason alone. There is no external dial or keypad. Why is this a factor? Because a thief will use your tool in that garage to try and gain entry. While they may not be able to open it, they will destroy the keypad of dial with your drill, crow bar, sledge hammer, etc. then you get to pay someone $500 to come replace it. This will happen EVERY time a thief finds your safe. For some reason they don't see a safe and decide its impossible, they see a safe as a challenge. Some other safe brands may have this same design but I'm not sure which ones.

That is a very interesting and valid argument you brought up. I really hadn't thought of that before.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a very interesting and valid argument you brought up. I really hadn't thought of that before.
A bear safe is a PITA to open with a key in hand but thats the beauty of them. The key hole cant be accessed with any other tool and destroy it.
Bear has a good fire rating also.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Bear Safe's in OKC look what they have, the double hidden key locks, bolted down to a cement floor at your house is a fantastic option. They have been around for atleast 25-30 years at the same location in OKC for a reason. Their product sells itself. Just go look. They deliver and will bolt it down for you. www.bearsafes.net centraloklahoma

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree Bear is the way to go...I love mine...They will configure the inside the way you want, deliver, bolt down, move it if you move in the future, and you can trade it in on a new bigger safe for a dollar for dollar value for what you paid for it if you want to get a bigger one in the future. I would also recommend that you get the biggest you can afford as your safe will fill up fast.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you have made the comment that thieves will see a safe as a challenge, and go to the trouble of using tools and such to try and open it. I can see how that'd be the case where a thief knew he had time and a low risk of being discovered - as in, he knows the homeowner well enough to know no one will be home for a while. But I can't imagine this would be the case where a thief picks a random house to break into to try and grab high-dollar items and get out of there fast. If such a thief comes across a bolted-down safe, wouldn't they make a quick attempt to open it, and if that fails move on to easier pickings?

Latest posts

Top Bottom