Rifle and Equipment Review: White Oak Armament Barrel, VLTOR A5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I would post a quick review of these two pieces of equipment on an AR. I have seen and asked questions about each part.

The rifle:

i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_20130113_180407_zps136edf10.jpg

I was fortunate enough to start building this rifle before the craze. The barrel is a 16" Mid-length White Oak Armament 1:7 stainless steel barrel. Brownell's had the barrel in stock for $269. I was looking for a barrel capable of 1moa accuracy. The below picture shows a typical 5 shot accuracy group for the rifle as I was working on load development. The POI was changing as I changed loads, but the group below was shot using a 77grn Nosler with Lake City brass, Varget, and a Federal 205M to light the charge.

i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_0817MOA_zpsa31bd841.jpg

The final load I settled on was very consistent and shot a little over 0.55 moa. Needless to say, I am more than pleased with the capability of the barrel. Both of the groups were shot prone off a bipod in 30 degrees with light winds. For $269 dollars, I think it would be tough to beat this level of performance.

i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_1132013_zps98645f1d.jpg

On to the VLTOR A5 system. I am a fan of the Emod stocks and have wanted to try the A5 system for awhile. According to the manufacturer, "the A5 has shown increased accuracy and milder/smoother function, due to the constant spring rate the M16A2 spring offers." The stock itself is solid. I shoot this on prone on the "5" length. Like Emod stocks, the A5 makes it pretty easy to get a consistent and proper height on your cheek weld. It does not feel overly long or unbalanced.

With that being said, I do like the way this system feels. However, in my opinion I see virtually little, if any, difference in how it shoots. A 5.56 does not have very much recoil to begin with. Swapping this lower with a carbine gas system, recoil reduction was really not distinguishable in a field setting. The system ran 100% reliable, but so did it before with a simple H buffer.

My bottom line is that while I like the system and the stock, I don't notice enough difference to warrant having to have one. At $224 dollars from BCM, you could save a little money and go with the Emod stock kit for around $187. It should be noted that this kit comes with a standard carbine buffer, so if you needed an H or H2, the price difference becomes much smaller.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I'm building an almost identical setup on a 18" BCM barrel. Unfortunately I decided to start this project last Thursday so it's costing me quite a bit. I searched for a White Oak barrel but finally found the BCM in stock for a couple of hours so went with that. I hope I can shoot mine half as accurate as you shoot yours. Any scope recommendations?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. I'm building an almost identical setup on a 18" BCM barrel. Unfortunately I decided to start this project last Thursday so it's costing me quite a bit. I searched for a White Oak barrel but finally found the BCM in stock for a couple of hours so went with that. I hope I can shoot mine half as accurate as you shoot yours. Any scope recommendations?

Take a look at the Vortex and SWFA SS lines. They both offer quite a bit of value for a moderate price!

I built this rifle for the SWFA SS 1-6x24 scope I pre-ordered in June of last year. I hear they are shipping now, but I wasn't lucky enough to get one in the first go around. I am hoping sometime soon!

Latest posts

Top Bottom