"Reduced Engine Power"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There have been a few posts here lately about car troubles, so I hope you all don't mind another one.

I have an '03 Suburban, with a "Drive By Wire" throttle, that I have been getting the REP message on at random times, sometimes several times a day.

The codes indicate that there is a problem with the throttle body or accelerator pedal sensor.

I have had two mechanics look at it several times, with no luck so far.

The throttle body had been replaced twice, and the pedal sensor has been replaced twice, also.

All of the wiring, including the grounds has been checked many times.

I am at my wits end trying to fix this problem, so if anyone has experience with this problem, and has any suggestions, I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks!

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This really sounds like a wiring problem. How sure are you that the wiring was checked good, particularly the connection, pins and wiring at the throttle body and the ground circuit behind the intake manifold?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, this will sound goofy, but I had the same problem. Replaced the Battery and it has not re-occurred in a year.. Start out by disconnecting the battery 10 or so minutes. It should temp fix the problem. If it comes back, change the battery. My battery had a few years on it but was still starting pretty well, but just a little slower than I remember. Did a lot of internet research, almost taking it in for at throttle body sensor or accelerator module. It wound up being a cheap real fix.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found this hope it helps

Document ID# 1541463
2004 GMC Truck GMC C Sierra - 2WD

SES Light and Reduced Engine Power with a DTC P1516: DTCs P0120 , P0220 , P1514 , P1515 , P1518 and P2135 May Be Present; 04 Trucks and Utilities with GENIII V-8 Engines - kw 4.8 5.3 6.0 #PIP3089 - (Jul 30, 2004)
SES Light and Reduced Engine Power with a DTC P1516: DTCs P0120, P0220, P1514, P1515, P1518 and P2135 May Also Be Present.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
SES light and reduced engine power with a DTC P1516. DTCS P0120, P0220, P1514, P1515, P1518 and P2135 may also be present.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause, inspect the Yellow TAC Motor Control Circuit (581) about 1 inch to 4 inches from the throttle body connector to see if it is broken inside of the insulation. Repair as necessary.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(03 - 04 Cadillac Escalade C1, C6, K1, K6) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Avalanche C1, K1, C2, K2) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Silverado Truck C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Tahoe C1, K1 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Suburban C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Sierra Truck C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Yukon C1, K1 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Yukon XL C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3) and (03 - 04 Hummer H2 N2 ) and (03 - 04 Buick Rainier S1, T1 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Trail Blazer EXT S1, T1 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Envoy XL XUV S1, T1)

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Document ID# 1541463

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Found this hope it helps"
Impressive

(note to the pet peevers, i did Not repeet the hole post)
Different kind of vehicle, but I have a friend that his dome light would Not go out, he had to take the bulb out.
couple months ,the battery went out . tech that put battery in noticed the missing bulb and replaced it.
Friend say that it had always stayed on, tech said , yea ...thats how you know the battery is failing...
there Are some Good Tech's out there... ;)

.Oh were in the nearly poverty club, so it wasnt a big time dealer

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions.

This really sounds like a wiring problem. How sure are you that the wiring was checked good, particularly the connection, pins and wiring at the throttle body and the ground circuit behind the intake manifold?

The wiring and grounds have been checked several times by me and the two mechanics.

OK, this will sound goofy, but I had the same problem. Replaced the Battery and it has not re-occurred in a year.. Start out by disconnecting the battery 10 or so minutes. It should temp fix the problem. If it comes back, change the battery. My battery had a few years on it but was still starting pretty well, but just a little slower than I remember. Did a lot of internet research, almost taking it in for at throttle body sensor or accelerator module. It wound up being a cheap real fix.

It's not goofy at all. Low voltage can cause this problem, but that is not the issue in my case.

Found this hope it helps

Document ID# 1541463

SES Light and Reduced Engine Power with a DTC P1516: DTCs P0120 , P0220 , P1514 , P1515 , P1518 and P2135 May Be Present; 04 Trucks and Utilities with GENIII V-8 Engines - kw 4.8 5.3 6.0 #PIP3089 - (Jul 30, 2004)
SES Light and Reduced Engine Power with a DTC P1516: DTCs P0120, P0220, P1514, P1515, P1518 and P2135 May Also Be Present.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:
SES light and reduced engine power with a DTC P1516. DTCS P0120, P0220, P1514, P1515, P1518 and P2135 may also be present.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause, inspect the Yellow TAC Motor Control Circuit (581) about 1 inch to 4 inches from the throttle body connector to see if it is broken inside of the insulation. Repair as necessary.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:
(03 - 04 Cadillac Escalade C1, C6, K1, K6) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Avalanche C1, K1, C2, K2) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Silverado Truck C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Tahoe C1, K1 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Suburban C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Sierra Truck C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Yukon C1, K1 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Yukon XL C1, K1, C2, K2, C3, K3) and (03 - 04 Hummer H2 N2 ) and (03 - 04 Buick Rainier S1, T1 ) and (03 - 04 Chevrolet Trail Blazer EXT S1, T1 ) and (03 - 04 GMC Envoy XL XUV S1, T1)

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Document ID# 1541463

I have read most all the posts on the internet,so that's why I came here. The wiring harness to the throttle body has been replaced, and the connections checked several times.

"Found this hope it helps"
Impressive

(note to the pet peevers, i did Not repeet the hole post)
Different kind of vehicle, but I have a friend that his dome light would Not go out, he had to take the bulb out.
couple months ,the battery went out . tech that put battery in noticed the missing bulb and replaced it.
Friend say that it had always stayed on, tech said , yea ...thats how you know the battery is failing...
there Are some Good Tech's out there... ;)

.Oh were in the nearly poverty club, so it wasnt a big time dealer

Unfortunately, I am a member of that club also. I can't afford to leave it at a dealership for several days and let them charge me $90/hr to try and diagnose the problem with no guarantee of being able to fix it. There are thousands of posts online about this problem with mostly no help from GM techs.

Thanks again everyone!

Latest posts

Top Bottom