The dreaded ‘Reduced Engine Power’ on 06 Chevy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This little problem has gotten to the point that it happens every time on startup. It will throw 4 codes. Throttle body, TPS, Throttle actuator, and pedal sensor.
I replaced the TB and TPS. The actuator is $167 so I haven’t bought it yet. I’ve researched some forums that had guys replace all the components and the problem doesn’t go away. I’m a nuts and bolts guy, electrics are not my strong suit. Tell me to change a transmission and I’m like, OK. Ask me to rewire a trailer and I’m like, ugh.
Has anyone had this issue and have a little insight on some quick things to check?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd call @MoBoost. He's a member here but has gone inactive since he is busy at his shop. Someone here mentioned him in a thread a week or so ago.

Be sure and post the reply. Inquiring Chevy driving minds want to know...

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I feel for you man. I had an '03 4WD Suburban that me and three mechanics couldn't figure out. I finally sold it cheap.

Many of the things I read online at the time said that it could be a loose ground somewhere but we never could find the cause.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I drive an ass load of miles every day. Like ~75k per year so I listen to podcasts regularly. I subscribe to about a dozen shows. Are there any watch shows anyone listens to?

I feel for you man. I had an '03 4WD Suburban that me and three mechanics couldn't figure out. I finally sold it cheap.

Many of the things I read online at the time said that it could be a loose ground somewhere but we never could find the cause.
I’m thinking it’s a ground also. Checked the ground behind the driver side front wheel and the braided ground to the back of the motor. Checked all the mounting bolts for the affected components. No luck so far.
It’s mainly happening on startup now. Not sure if it’s the shake of the motor or the system not being able to handle the surge at startup due to the short

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’m thinking it’s a ground also. Checked the ground behind the driver side front wheel and the braided ground to the back of the motor. Checked all the mounting bolts for the affected components. No luck so far.
It’s mainly happening on startup now. Not sure if it’s the shake of the motor or the system not being able to handle the surge at startup due to the short
Mine was happening at random. I would be going down the highway 70mph and it would suddenly shut down to 20mph. It was very aggravating.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been trying out a pattern of when it happens. Sometimes that can help in fixing it. I don’t think it’s ever happened going faster than 30-35. Occasionally when I hit a bump. That’s why I’m leaning towards a short

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been trying out a pattern of when it happens. Sometimes that can help in fixing it. I don’t think it’s ever happened going faster than 30-35. Occasionally when I hit a bump. That’s why I’m leaning towards a short
My wife’s Mustang had that issue. It was an 05. She would be driving down the highway and then it would go into limp mode. It would be totally random when it would do this. . Stop wait a little bit and then it would be good to go. She brought it by the mechanics and they wanted to put a new throttlebody on it and charge her like 800 bucks. I said feck that. Basically all I did was change the TBS sensor and cleaned the throttlebody. Pulled the throttle body off and used a toothbrush with throttlebody cleaner

I like the old days when all you had was a fecking throttle cable instead of this fly by electronic wire. The throttle body sensors have a tendency of going bad with age. her Mustang only had maybe 120,000 on it when this issue flared up. I get my part off of eBay. Just looked for factory OEM parts. I guess you could go buy the parts store.

I’m thinking a clean throttlebody and a new TBS sensor will probably fix you up. Google your issue on YouTube that might help to you in the right direction

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom