Long-term Kydex Wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I just got a Beretta PX4 Compact (yay, me), and I'm alrady looking for holsters. I have a Watch Six for my Kimber, and have rarely considered Kydex, because I'm concerned about holster wear. Those of you who have carried long-term in Kydex, are you seeing much wear on your guns?

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you train with your gun you will get wear with Kydex or leather. At least with kydex grit and grime does not get into the leather which scratches the most. Just wash with soap and water. I have some wear on my glock but it's 98% from drawing and re holstering.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you train with your gun you will get wear with Kydex or leather. At least with kydex grit and grime does not get into the leather which scratches the most. Just wash with soap and water. I have some wear on my glock but it's 98% from drawing and re holstering.
couldn't agree more. I have a kydex holster for my glock 19 and a double mag pouch. I have a small amount of wear on the slide at the tip of the pistol. But nothing bad. And I wear mine every day of the week. I now have a double mag pouch and holster being made by F3 for my new glock 43. I would highly recommend getting kydex. I guarantee you won't be sorry you did. I can carry my 19 under a tshirt OWB and can barely even see it. Not many OWB holsters can do that. And did I mention comfort? But back to the wear. I have been carrying in kydex for well over 2 years and the amount of wear is probably not even noticeable to someone else.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own two kinds of guns. Collectible pieces and tools. I don't worry when my tools get worn. My collectible pieces won't ever see the inside of any holster.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own two kinds of guns. Collectible pieces and tools. I don't worry when my tools get worn. My collectible pieces won't ever see the inside of any holster.

Well said. People seem to put some of these weapons up on a shelf and think of them as dainty little pieces that should never have a mar or scratch on them! LOL! Your right, they are simply a TOOL!

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of us like to keep or tools looking good and in good shape. I have techs at work that throw dirty tools back in the box at the end of the day and some take the time and wipe them all down and make sure the are looking good and in order. Nothing wrong with either.

Plus when I go to sell or trade, you guys always know my stuff looks brand new!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of us like to keep or tools looking good and in good shape. I have techs at work that throw dirty tools back in the box at the end of the day and some take the time and wipe them all down and make sure the are looking good and in order. Nothing wrong with either.

Plus when I go to sell or trade, you guys always know my stuff looks brand new!

Never said I abuse or don't keep my stuff clean. But if I'm afraid of my gun/knife/whatever getting worn, then it shouldn't be used as a tool. I have some knives that are too nice to carry. Again, if I'm worried about putting a scratch on my carry knife, then maybe that knife is too nice to carry and I need to put it in with the collectibles and get a knife I can actually use without worrying about it.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know some holster wear in any holster is normal. But I had it in my head that because Kydex is a harder material, it would cause more wear. Been reading more since I posted, and I'm realizing it's not nearly the issue I thought it was. I love my Watch Six, but I bought it used, so it's a little stretched. Learning a whole lot more about how to carry these days.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using Kydex for carry and competition for the last five years and I much prefer it over any other holster material. The hard material doesn't wear your gun finish much, it's the dirt embedded in the holster that causes the most wear. Kydex is easy to clean, and very fast for draws and has adjustable tension. I don't use anything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom