glock 22 gen 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 40 S&W, affectionately known as the 40 short and wimpy came to be as a result of the 10mm. In 1986 the FBI in Miami lost several agents in a shootout who were severely outgunned and decided they wanted a more powerful cartridge. The result was the 10mm. They were happy with it till agents started having trouble qualifying with it due to the power and heavy recoil and the large frame gun. The cartridge case was shortened, the power reduced and the 40 S&W was born. The new gun was also re-designed with the same size frame as the 9mm. Some shooters still don't care for the "snappy" recoil.

Glock started the model 22 with the Gen-2 series. It was a big hit with LE for some time because of the larger bullet and more punch than the 9mm and the 38 Special that had been carried for so many years. However, that same punch that was so liked caused frame breakages in the Glock frames. The amount of guns sent back to Glock for replacement is unknown, but I know OCPD sent several hundred of theirs back.

The early Gen-2 model 22's had a 2 pin frame which was supposedly a weak point in the design. Glock redesigned the frame to a 3 pin model and added a heavier locking block. The most recent problem with the 22's was feeding and ejection problems with a light mounted on the rail.

More recently it seems that PD's are switching back to the 9mm because of advancements in the 9mm bullet design and ballistics.

From a reloading perspective, the 40 is a cartridge that has always given me problems because of the design of the chamber in the barrel. The lower area of the chamber was "unsupported" which allowed the pressures of the cartridge to "bulge" the lower third of the brass. I finally had to get an EGW "undersize" die to get the brass to the proper size to be reloaded. As a reloader, I find more 40 brass on the range than any other.

There are lots of articles about Glocks out there as well as websites. The gun itself was designed as a combat firearm and meant to be used in harsh conditions with very good reliability. It never ceases to amaze me when people "bubba" gunsmith their Glocks and then gripe cause they screwed it up. Every part on the gun can be taken off and replaced by the user with a minimum of tools. Replacement parts can be found with a simple google search.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What he said! ^^^^^

I have thrown literally THOUSANDS of rounds thru mine and never had a single hiccup.

I have also carried mine Mexican style in brutal Oklahoma summers, had it dripping with sweat - and not just any sweat...we're talkin' ol' hairy ass sweat! And not a speck of rust anywhere!

As for the cons of this weapon? Hmmm...I dunno...I can't really think of any right now. :scratch:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What he said! ^^^^^

I have thrown literally THOUSANDS of rounds thru mine and never had a single hiccup.

I have also carried mine Mexican style in brutal Oklahoma summers, had it dripping with sweat - and not just any sweat...we're talkin' ol' hairy ass sweat! And not a speck of rust anywhere!

As for the cons of this weapon? Hmmm...I dunno...I can't really think of any right now. :scratch:

Potential con: might smell like ol' hairy cop butt...douse it in Hoppes and carry on.

Sent from my iPhone

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Prior to the G-23 I have, I had a G-27(Baby Glock) which during my time as a Deputy back in my home county in Georgia got carried as my BUG while on duty and as a primary off duty. After I moved over to Federal LE I still carried her as a BUG (even though we were not allowed to carry a BUG), and off duty as my primary. I fired over 7000 rounds through her an never had a problem with her. Due to age, mine not her's, I needed more grip to hold on to, so I moved up to the G-23, and never looked back. She has served me wonderfully as my CCW, HD, and competition piece for GSSF, Steel Challenge, and IDPA match's. I do have other Glock's, but the G-23 suits me for everything I named, except for my back up role. That's now held by my S&W 640 loaded up with .38spl. 158grSWCHP+P. My G-23 is loaded with 165gr Hornady HP.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Gen3 G22. Never was a Glock fan, although it was what I learned to shoot pistol on. My first pistol was an SW99 (S&W version of the Walther P99). Since, I've carried Taurus subcompact (PT145), coupla Commander-sized 1911s (full-size frame with shorter barrel), have a Shield 9mm, too. Coupla older S&W autos as well.

I always felt uncomfortable with the Glock's blocky grip and more raked grip angle, as opposed to the more upright "feel" of a 1911. However, my G22 has a Hogue slip-on rubber grip sleeve, and after running a few hundred rounds through it, I am a firm believer. I can pretty easily switch back and forth between all my semi-autos, and although I may not be quite as accurate with the G22, I am still more than capable of putting every round in the 8- or 9-ring through several magazines. The high capacity with a moderately-improved cartridge (as opposed to a simple 9mm) gives it a lot of points. I love my 1911s, but I can carry the Glock with 1 extra mag and have 31 rounds, whereas I'd need to have a fully-loaded gun and 3 backup mags with my 1911s to have and equivalent count.

The biggest and best selling point on any Glock isn't ergonomics. It isn't aesthetics. It isn't bling. The primary Glock selling points are reliability with almost ANY kind of ammo, the durability, the ease of use/simplicity, the ability to function flawlessly in nearly any conditions - from desert sand to swampy moisture to mud to rain to muck and seawater to tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds to... you name it. Glock = reliability. Period. With minimal loss of accuracy. Everything is a tradeoff... and Glock is, like it or not, the full-size pickup truck of the gun world.

Used to hate 'em. Now, I don't LOVE 'em, but I recognize their utility and reliability. Almost idiot-proof, as long as you can keep your stupid booger-hook off the trigger.

Good value. Great overall gun. You really can't go wrong. You buy a brand-new Glock, and if you decide you don't like it, it's not for you, you want something fancier, whatever - in 6 months or 5 years, you can probably sell it for 80-90% of what you paid for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom