30-30 help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had positive experiences with both guns, scoped and non. I’d say the marlin is the easier gun to hang a scope on though.
I guess I'm just more partial to the Winchester nostalgia maybe. And being my first rifle and all, it would be like cheating on my wife if I used a Marlin LOL

Head Mule

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My older brother has always talked about wanting a lever action 30-30. His birthday is coming up and I was wanting to try and find him one he'd like. Can I get some info on good brands to look at. I think he said the winchester but he's also mentioned something about the side chamber or exit. Something like that. Sorry I'm not more knowledgeable with accurate info.
I've had a Henry steel 30/30 for probably 10 years now. Great shooter, nice rifle... HOWEVER, it is a bit heavy compared to a good old 94. No experience with the Marlin.

lilcountry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As others have said, either the Winchester 94 or the Marlin 336. I have both and they are reliable, natural pointing shooters. I recently saw an advertisement for a lever action school. It was an intense course requiring hundreds of rounds fired. The Winchester and Marlin were recommended, however they did not allow Henry rifles on the course. They said Henry rifles had been allowed in previous schools, and almost every one of them failed before the end of the course. They did recommend another brand too, but I can't remember what it was.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Mossberg and Rossi are viable options, if you can find them.

Love my Marlin, always wanted a Winchester 94, I have a Browning made 92 Win

The Henry .30-30 durabilty, I have no knowledge of. My Henry .45 is heavier than my Browning, both have been reliable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom