30-30 help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchester model 94 is a true classic. The upside is they made a ton of them. Downside is its 1894 technology. So top ejection and mounting a scope is a bit of a compromise as it's on a side mount, or a very long eye relief on the barrel. Age and condition puts prices all over the map (Pre 1964, and Pre 1936 are big price jumps). Be sure its a 30/30 as some other calibers were offered. The 94 was made in an angle eject model specifically for use with scopes. It was available in rifle and carbine configurations and a variety of barrel lengths. There was even a version with a strengthened frame for shells hotter than the 30/30.

They made a version of the 94 for sears, its mechanically the same, but it was a budget minded gun with lesser stocks, and a few cosmetic components changed. I think they look like hell.

There was also an "updated" version with a different model number made decades ago with a pistol grip stock and half length magazine. A true collectors item, and should have a price to match.

Marlin 336, also a lever action, but a side ejection, so scope mounting is much easier. The lever rotates on a pin, not a linkage like the 94 and it is not a smooth. Marlins fit and finish on these were not as nice as the Winchesters. I would recommend looking for one with a small JM in an oval stamped in the barrel near the receiver, and no pushbutton safety. These were made from real Marlin parts before Remington took control of the manufacturing, and they have better fit and finish.

Glenfield 36, These were made by marlin as a budget version of the 336. Beach stocks, lesser fit and finish, and a few cosmetic parts changed, but mechanically the same gun.
Any of the earlier models of marlins lever actions in 30/30 will be collectors' items.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the Marlin Glenfield 30A (mfg 1981) came with a Weaver 4x scope
I have a 1976 Glenfield 30A that I bought new. It is basically the same as the Marlin 336 but with birch wood stocks instead of walnut and the forearm has an endcap instead of the barrel band on the Marlin, which theoretically should improve accuracy.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Winchester I have, with a scope, Ive killed over 1000 prairie dogs with, at 150 yards. The offset scope isnt a factor but the 110 grain hollows I loaded were.

I love loading 115 gr lead bullets in. .30-30. Gets the velocity way up and extremely accurate, with neglible recoil.

Love all of them. They all shoot good.
99% of all lever guns will never have 500 rounds put through them.

My 6 levers must be part of the 1%. Every .30-30 and most pistol caliber levers, I have been around are well used, with 1000s of rounds. 1 Cowboy Action shoot can be 150-250 rounds.

There are .30-30s out there, that have been shot very little. I bought a 1972 Marlin a few years back (2018 ?), that had less 20 rounds through it. Many more since then. But, 99% is a stretch. IMO. Though many rifles, 500 rounds would be a lot

Latest posts

Top Bottom