Project preview - "Squirrelberg"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So here is a preview of my next project. The goal is to fit the Mossberg 702 plinkster into an old Marlin 60 wood stock. This stock was donated to me just for this project by a forum member. I didn't know until I got it in the mail it was a squirrel stock. :ooh2: Any advice from anyone that has attempted this is appreciated.

And so it begins....

i.imgur.com_M9xQD0I.jpg

i.imgur.com_fPRFHzR.jpg

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This project is still in the plannig phase but moving along nicely. It looks like I will have to hollow out the Marlin stock in the area below the receiver and then glue a new wood block in to allow for the new in-letting for the Mossberg trigger assembly. It looks like I have located someone to CNC the new in-letting. Here are some more pics of what I am up against.

i.imgur.com_MWIcPoq.jpg

i.imgur.com_nGeXqOv.jpg

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So since the Marlin and Mossberg receivers are almost spot on identical, the plan right now is to open up the Marlin stock to allow a block to be glued in just below where the receiver will sit and then inlet for the Mossberg trigger group. I will leave the bottom front and sides and only cut out for the trigger group there. If all goes well the only place that will need to be filled is on the bottom at the rear of the action. I should be able to use the material I cut out of the bottom to make a fill piece for that area. Then after a full refinish it should look like it was never even modified.

That's the idea anyway....

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I don't know about anybody else but I think this is cool as schizzz and wanna see the project as you progress on with it.

Sent from my iPhone

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been working on opening up the in-letting on the Marlin stock. But due to a mishap it will be on hold for awhile. While chiseling out the stock I slipped and jammed the chisel right into the palm of my hand. After the resulting trip to the ER, x-rays, scans, and some nice pain meds and muscle relaxers, I'm now unable to work on it for awhile. Just in case anyone feels the least bit like duplicating my mistake, I would highly recommend against it. I got lucky and only nicked a tendon. A little more to the right and I may have severed it.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have been working on opening up the in-letting on the Marlin stock. But due to a mishap it will be on hold for awhile. While chiseling out the stock I slipped and jammed the chisel right into the palm of my hand. After the resulting trip to the ER, x-rays, scans, and some nice pain meds and muscle relaxers, I'm now unable to work on it for awhile. Just in case anyone feels the least bit like duplicating my mistake, I would highly recommend against it. I got lucky and only nicked a tendon. A little more to the right and I may have severed it.

Pics didnt load.

Latest posts

Top Bottom