Smith and Wesson revolver questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that I have the attention of all you raving revolver fanatics, I have a few questions. I am purchasing my first revolver in the next day or two. I was sold on a SP101 in .357 2.25" barrel, however yesterday I stopped by big boys guns in mustang and got my mitts on a dozen smith revolvers or so. I always considered them to be out of my price range for what I am looking for, more of a later gun than a now gun. But when I looked I was very impressed, and I was surprised by the price on some of the guns. But I have a few questions:

642 vs 642LS: what's the difference? Is the LS worth a few extra bucks?

Air weight... Is there problems with durability? When I see things that aren't heavy such as a SP101 I feel as if they won't be very durable, esp if shooting +p rounds.

Any other suggestions or suggested models to look at?

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been pondering getting a S&W 638 or 637. Then I started looking at the Sig P290RS in 9mm. It's a little heavier (+5oz) but holds two more rounds.

The S&W Airweights are durable but the question is comfortable if you are planning to do a lot of shooting with +P loads. If that is the case, you may wish to consider the Ruger or a solid steel S&W like the Model 60, M649 or M640.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been pondering getting a S&W 638 or 637. Then I started looking at the Sig P290RS in 9mm. It's a little heavier (+5oz) but holds two more rounds.

The S&W Airweights are durable but the question is comfortable if you are planning to do a lot of shooting with +P loads. If that is the case, you may wish to consider the Ruger or a solid steel S&W like the Model 60, M649 or M640.

For target and such, I plan on shooting regular .38, def would do minimal practice with +p, and would prob carry a lot of snake and +p, as I would carry it when not carrying my XDS and when fishing.

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up a new SW MP340PD off gunbroker for $550 which is .357. In my opion its worth a $100 or so more bucks to get the .357 over the .38. I had a 642 and then a 638 both were okay but the 340PD is about the same size and weight and packs a lot more punch if loaded with .357.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up a new SW MP340PD off gunbroker for $550 which is .357. In my opion its worth a $100 or so more bucks to get the .357 over the .38. I had a 642 and then a 638 both were okay but the 340PD is about the same size and weight and packs a lot more punch if loaded with .357.

That is one thing I have def considered. I was originally going for a 357, however, I was considering geting a 38+p air weight smith, and later a sp101 in 357 to make for more power and more pleasant range trips.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check ballistics on a 2in 357, might not be what you thought. I have carried the S&W Model 38 for years, now I would not recommend a steady diet of +P's. You should be alright for SD purpose.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The main difference between the 642 and the 642LS is the grips (typically Rosewood or something like that on the LS) and a little bit of engraving or etching (LadySmith). Other than that basically identical.
The 642 and 442 are very light and fairly compact. They are also very reliable and simple to use.

The "tradeoffs" mentioned above are not unique to these models - most revolvers hold fewer rounds than many readily available semi-autos. Nor is the issue of carry weight and comfort versus ability to comfortably shoot many rounds unique. With .38 spl (non +p) I have no trouble with lightweight snubbies, +p and problems start to crop up (mostly discomfort after a while). On the other hand, I will not take a lightweight snub nose .357 revolver to the range (unless I am just firing .38 spl) because it is a painfully non-fun event.

Personally I prefer the S&W Model 60 because it is a trim design with clean lines and all steel for durability plus the heft to reduce felt recoil.

BTW if your wife or girlfriend (or both) should use the revolver a nice feature is that a revolver can be fired from inside a purse pocket reliably.

Latest posts

Top Bottom