$1 million winner now broke and convicted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In teaching a "zero level" math class at WOSC (no-credit remedial arithmetic), I decided to make it a "math for daily life" to be perhaps more interesting.

A few people took the information on things like % interest on loans and math of budgeting to improve their lives, but a ghastly majority made it clear that they weren't interested and intended to go through life spending 2 dollars for every one they made if someone one would make them a loan, any loan. For them, winning the lottery would be like throwing gasoline on a house fire. If they won five million, they would use it as down payment on $10 million in debt. According to the IL State lottery, most big winners don't just go broke, they go bankrupt owing a pile of money!
I'm a huge advocate of practical education, but changing attitudes is tougher than teaching someone how to calculate interest, and I just can't cure determined stupid.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A woman in Idabel won a bit on the TX lottery. She was getting around $300,000/year. The third year she was borrowing against the next year's payment. I've never had to get by on $300000/year, but I think I could manage it somehow.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A woman in Idabel won a bit on the TX lottery. She was getting around $300,000/year. The third year she was borrowing against the next year's payment. I've never had to get by on $300000/year, but I think I could manage it somehow.

Man ... that's amazing! But, I guess people's money habits don't change just because they all of a sudden have more than enough to get by on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom