10 mm Hunting ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10mm ammo for deer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today I was able to shoot several 3/4”x 3/4” target posters at 25 yards with my Glock 40. As I feel this to be adequate, I would like to solicit options for 10mm hunting loads for the deer woods this fall. I am sighted in with 180 grain Sellier & Beloitt and Sig V-Crown 180’s shoot to the same point, even though there is somewhat of a velocity difference. So, that being known, would anyone use the Sig ammo? Or go with something else? I can reload so that’s a possibility also. Firsthand experience with 10mm hunting deer would be awesome.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know anything about factory ammo for the 10mm.
What I do know is that one needs to get into reloading so you can try as many loads as possible.
All that being said, at common pistol ranges on deer, I've had good luck with the Hornady XTP's with .45 ACP at ranges within 20 yards.
All pass through.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer the Underwood 10mm loading with 180gr Gold Dots. They’re bonded whereas the XTP’s aren’t, and loaded to max velocities.

This is what I carry in my Glock 29. It’s an excellent round for self-defense, although it does produce a significant amount of recall. You just have to make sure you hold onto it to give you the opportunity for good follow-up shots. I believe the Underwood 180 grain gold dot round delivers about 725 foot pounds where as the Sig and the S&B deliver about 600 foot pounds for comparison sake. Plus, the Sig and S&B are full metal jacket. For hunting deer, I think there are better loads. You might get on the Underwood website and just do a little bit of research. Sure, reloading is an option, but Underwood does produce some really good loads for hunting various critters. I’m not certain, but I think that if you were to shoot a deer with the Underwood 180 grain gold dot round you would take the deer down, but probably destroy a significant amount of meat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I carry in my Glock 29. It’s an excellent round for self-defense, although it does produce a significant amount of recall. You just have to make sure you hold onto it to give you the opportunity for good follow-up shots. I believe the Underwood 180 grain gold dot round delivers about 725 foot pounds where as the Sig and the S&B deliver about 600 foot pounds for comparison sake. Plus, the Sig and S&B are full metal jacket. For hunting deer, I think there are better loads. You might get on the Underwood website and just do a little bit of research. Sure, reloading is an option, but Underwood does produce some really good loads for hunting various critters. I’m not certain, but I think that if you were to shoot a deer with the Underwood 180 grain gold dot round you would take the deer down, but probably destroy a significant amount of meat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Underwood sounds like a good round, with a lot of horsepower. The Sig am I have is the 180 jhp. I don’t know if I would need the hotter round for the smallish deer we have here. I have taken a small buck with a Glock 35 using Winchester PDX and he didn’t go but maybe 15 yards. Bonded sounds like the way to go as far as bullets. I might have to see if I can find some to reload. Underwood stuff is $$.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Underwood sounds like a good round, with a lot of horsepower. The Sig am I have is the 180 jhp. I don’t know if I would need the hotter round for the smallish deer we have here. I have taken a small buck with a Glock 35 using Winchester PDX and he didn’t go but maybe 15 yards. Bonded sounds like the way to go as far as bullets. I might have to see if I can find some to reload. Underwood stuff is $$.

You know that Sig 180 FMJ is at Academy for $26 per 50; the Underwood is just a few bucks more. Any of it will probably be fine though. I mean, that 10MM is one beast of a round. And honestly this is just my opinion anyway, I am by no means an expert on ammo for deer. But I do think that where you place that round is most important since we’re talking a handgun here. I just don’t wanna be chasing a wounded animal through the woods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom