How much below MSRP should one expect to buy a new Pick-up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have purchased 2 brand new vehicles in my life, first was after I discharged from the Marines, I had a little savings and a used Oldsmobile, I bought a brand new GMC, AM radio no A/C, standard trans. borrowed from local bank but I don't remember how much I paid. 2nd in 1978 wife totaled her Cutlass and we decided to get a Honda Accord. Dealer quoted a price and I tried to pay less, he said that's the price if you don't buy it someone else will by this afternoon.
I drive a '04 F-150 that runs good, looks like crap and I'm thinking of getting a new one. So how much should I expect to pay (%) below MSRP?

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my 2023 4runner at msrp, in 2005 I bought a Dodge Ram 2500 6spd Cummins 4x4 otd for about 8000 less than msrp because of employee pricing, Dodge rebate and OK Farm Bureau discount....I wish I still had the truck.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Do your research and find the dealerships that aren’t gouging their customers. When we were searching for our Kia I found that there was only like 7 dealerships in the Nation that weren’t “market adjusting” their prices. 4 of those dealerships were located in Colorado.

Unfortunately it may take a road trip to not get screwed. We had to buy our new car last year through a dealership in Denver because the closer ones were trying to screw us over. We would have paid $15,000 above sticker price if we went through Kalidy Kia in OKC. Instead we went through Arapahoe Kia in Denver and just paid MSRP which I was fine with since we ordered the car how we wanted it.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Right now is a bad time to try buying a new vehicle.

2. It's a really bad time to be buying a pickup

3. Some people are willingly overpaying for pickups right now because it's some sort of flex/brag to be able to overpay. This means dealers don't need to haggle with you and give you a good price.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back before covid you could pay $6000-8000 back of MSRP for a truck and that was a good deal to walk around telling everyone about.

Today you'll pay over MSRP, bend over, take an ungreased telephone pole in the prison wallet, and walk around bragging that you didn't get kissed by the guy with no teeth during the process.

Buying a new vehicle is a scam, always. Buying a new vehicle in a seller's market is doubly so. If yours runs fine, why waste the money? Anything you drive is a liability, not an asset. Save the cash and take the girl out with some of it, then sock the rest away so it can grow until the market changes in 2025-2026

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my 2022 chevy about 8000 below sticker with rebate and discounts , had a dealer offer to buy it for what I paid a couple weeks ago with 13,000 miles on it

Latest posts

Top Bottom