How much below MSRP should one expect to buy a new Pick-up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back before covid you could pay $6000-8000 back of MSRP for a truck and that was a good deal to walk around telling everyone about.

Today you'll pay over MSRP, bend over, take an ungreased telephone pole in the prison wallet, and walk around bragging that you didn't get kissed by the guy with no teeth during the process.

Buying a new vehicle is a scam, always. Buying a new vehicle in a seller's market is doubly so. If yours runs fine, why waste the money? Anything you drive is a liability, not an asset. Save the cash and take the girl out with some of it, then sock the rest away so it can grow until the market changes in 2025-2026
This response needs to go in the OSA Hall of Fame!

I’m stealing almost the whole post as a funny post story I will tell years from now, lol

Prison wallet…

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Say what you will, but UAW are on strike for higher pay and more benefits and they recently received a huge pay increase and even more in the next few years.
With that, I suspect that prices are going to continue to go up on vehicles to the point the average person can't afford to buy one in a few years. Even a new Corolla top of the line is cliose to $30,000.
I’m not saying that unions are perfect by any means but I do know that the media sensationalizes the wages and benefits of the UAW members. Don’t assembly line workers deserve good pay and benefits as well?
The Toyota plant in San Antonio that makes the Tundra - those guys aren’t union, yet I’m pretty sure their pay/benefits are on par with GM and Ford autoworkers.
Tundras aren’t getting any cheaper either.
…just seems like there is a lot of undeserved hate and discontent against folks that work for Ford or GM.
I remember when the Ford Glass Plant was in Tulsa. A lot of folks would bash the employees there along with the UAW but would be asking the very next day if they could get an application for a job.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not saying that unions are perfect by any means but I do know that the media sensationalizes the wages and benefits of the UAW members. Don’t assembly line workers deserve good pay and benefits as well?
The Toyota plant in San Antonio that makes the Tundra - those guys aren’t union, yet I’m pretty sure their pay/benefits are on par with GM and Ford autoworkers.
Tundras aren’t getting any cheaper either.
…just seems like there is a lot of undeserved hate and discontent against folks that work for Ford or GM.
I remember when the Ford Glass Plant was in Tulsa. A lot of folks would bash the employees there along with the UAW but would be asking the very next day if they could get an application for a job.

There's a weird area on the political right where you get blue collar workers who don't have any entrepreneurial talent (and are thus destined to be a wage slave for life) basically going up to bat for corporations right to suppress union activity and basically any sort of movement that would give low level workers an earnings bump.

It's like a principled self-own or something?

This is not me defending unions or advocating for corporations. (remember, corporations are not your friend and you should not waste your energy defending their ability to steamroll you the consumer. also, unions heavily donate to the Democrats so they are also not your friend.)

But when you look at this ****ing chart and realize that you will NEVER catch up in life, maybe you should start advocating for your own benefit and not for the supposed principles of the GOP that is really just part of the uniparty that is in bed with the Democrats to turn this world into Elites vs everyone else.

img_0540-1_arrow.jpg

Source: WTF Happened In 1971?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About a month ago my daughter told me that my ex totaled her 2017 Subaru Crosstrek. We bought the car in 2018 or 2019 with 26,500 on the odometer. It was nice. She wrecked or hit curbs and such with that car at least 5 times. The last one, during our divorce proceedings, had damage all the way down the driver side that totaled almost $6k in damages. She blew the insurance money and never had the car repaired. Then she got t-boned in the driver side by a teenager and totaled the car for good.

We paid $19,900 for the car when we bought it with 16,500 miles on it as a certified car from a dealer. When she totaled it, and from what I hear had almost 140k miles on it. How they missed all the rusted damage from front to back, prior insurance claims and the multiple dealer service visits for collision damage repair (while we were still married) is beyond me. She got $18k from the insurance company on that car that which was already completely trashed. :faint:

This is one reason why we pay through the nose for insurance. They apparently did absolutely ZERO due diligence on this one at least. And how she can still obtain insurance is also beyond me, she shouldn't be allowed to drive, but she would anyway, so I guess it's a good thing that she can.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm actually in the market for a new truck. Not 100% sure what I want. Looking for something above a work truck and below fully loaded. 1/2 ton, 4x4, crew cab, leather... probably end up with a RAM or GMC. I think I can get either well below MSRP.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my 2023 4runner at msrp, in 2005 I bought a Dodge Ram 2500 6spd Cummins 4x4 otd for about 8000 less than msrp because of employee pricing, Dodge rebate and OK Farm Bureau discount....I wish I still had the truck.
4 runners are outdated. Get terrible mpg with a 5 speed trans. Prices on them are dropping fast.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4 runners are outdated. Get terrible mpg with a 5 speed trans. Prices on them are dropping fast.

4runners are one of the last body on frame SUVs out there, have a very strong reputation for reliability and go anywhere at anytime stock.

Also that J in the vin.

It may be outdated but they sell fast and do not sit long on a lot.

I hope the refresh does not flop, they are dumping the tried and true V6 for a inline turbo 4.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I leased a 2022 Silverado LT 4x4 a year ago this month.

I really like the truck, the interior is spot on IMO and the LT package has a lot of extras.

Will I keep it, maybe, I have another 2 years on the lease, residual is $28,000, I wont be able to find a 3 year old, well cared for low milage Silverado for $28,000 on a dealers lot.

Then again if the market has crashed and its not worth $28,000 I can toss em the keys and say bye.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4runners are one of the last body on frame SUVs out there, have a very strong reputation for reliability and go anywhere at anytime stock.

Also that J in the vin.

It may be outdated but they sell fast and do not sit long on a lot.

I hope the refresh does not flop, they are dumping the tried and true V6 for a inline turbo 4.
The v6 still has a timing belt. Needs an update and a 6 speed trans. Pretty sure they are going to ruin it, not fix it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom