1000 rounds of live fire…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again it’s not about the number of rounds fire as much as it’s to encourage each other to get out and shoot.

“The idea of the group is to encourage gunowners to be shooters, not just people who keep a pistol in their sock drawer. To kick it off, as I go shooting, I put pictures and descriptions of the practice drills I do. I’m gratified that other members of the group are also putting up pictures and descriptions of their practice sessions. A few members have commented that they aren’t familiar with what structured drills are like. I’m glad the members of the group are providing some good information to the community.

As the late Paul Gomez put it, “Shoot yor [damn] guns!” But have some idea of what you’re doing when you’re shooting them. To that end, I’m going to start posting my drills here as I shoot them.”

- What do you teach the students?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again it’s not about the number of rounds fire as much as it’s to encourage each other to get out and shoot.

“The idea of the group is to encourage gunowners to be shooters, not just people who keep a pistol in their sock drawer. To kick it off, as I go shooting, I put pictures and descriptions of the practice drills I do. I’m gratified that other members of the group are also putting up pictures and descriptions of their practice sessions. A few members have commented that they aren’t familiar with what structured drills are like. I’m glad the members of the group are providing some good information to the community.

As the late Paul Gomez put it, “Shoot yor [damn] guns!” But have some idea of what you’re doing when you’re shooting them. To that end, I’m going to start posting my drills here as I shoot them.”

- What do you teach the students?
Back when the forum BoomerShooters was alive there was a similar thread that was very active. Mostly competition shooters. It was amazing how many rounds were shot monthly by most to stay proficient.
Just like any skill, one must remain proficient by practice to master the skill.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the lead up to the last IPSC world rifle championship I shot 25,000 rounds of 223 in 5 months. And screwed 4 new barrels on my practice rifle. That was just before COVID and the prices hadn't got crazy yet and I do get lots of help on ammo and barrels.

Trung Si Ma

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the lead up to the last IPSC world rifle championship I shot 25,000 rounds of 223 in 5 months. And screwed 4 new barrels on my practice rifle. That was just before COVID and the prices hadn't got crazy yet and I do get lots of help on ammo and barrels.
One of the great values of .22LR - counting rounds fired through the gun is:
a - a way to stay in practice for your "other" guns
b - not required.

Mike Bush (from Vudoo) has a couple of V22's that he uses for testing that have more than 60k rounds through them with no barrel erosion. I'm only at 4.4k so I have a long way to go!

The problem with .22LR rifles is that they can cost as much (if not more) than their CF counterparts. I try not to look at what I'm spending on the Vudoo(s).

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple very nice Nordic Components .22 LR rifles, but what gives an edge is using the exact rifle and ammunition you will be shooting in a match. 22lr does not match the recoil impulse of 223 especially on target transition training and long range shooting. Sometimes it has to be live and not Memorex. I wasn't really counting rounds but when you have 50 500 round cases of Federal AE and when you done you have a bunch of empty boxes full of brass it's kinda easy to tell how much you shot.
I fully agree counting rounds is not necessary, because you either are out practicing or you aren't. 22 LR is a great way to stay sharp, but for me I find myself playing rather than really practicing when I shoot 22, but it is trigger time and all of it is good. And to kind of point out the things Denis and I have said about action shooting competitors a 3-gun competitor can easily be in the 50-75,000 round range in a year. I know action pistol guys who are in the 50,000 round range. My most active years were all in the 80,000s. Now I just go by barrels burnt out.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently heard that the firearms industry had it figure that on average most guns are fired an average of seven times.

The idea behind this type of thread is to get the average person out shooting their gun and ideally some meaningful practice out of it.

There was an old story about some national shooting team that only had 50 rounds of practice ammunition per year to fire outside of competition. They got really good by dry firing and only firing live ammunition to verify their dry fire practice. I don’t know if that’s really a true story, but it makes a good story.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6/9/22

Been a bit longer than I would have liked for regular trips to the range. Stopped in this evening to test out my 9mm reloads, fired off about 60+ rounds with only one hiccup. (The shots fired at the shoulder of the target were only for function testing of the reloads.)

100/1000 rounds fired.

61A949FE-E2C7-4841-BC33-39A90732B18A.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom