12 ga or 20 ga slug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lameduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to set up one of my shotguns for slugs, which gauge is most effective. I have a 870 20 ga. and 12 ga. and I am going to get a rifled barrel for one I am just conflicted on which one would be best.

I have read that 20 ga is more effective for hogs than the 12 ga, because the 12 ga. slug moves so slow. I also read that the 12 ga. slug drops a LOT faster than then 20 ga. slug.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the 12.

It does kick a bit.

You are looking at a rifled bbl - you'll be using saboted slugs. I have a scope on my mossy and trust it out to 125 meters.

jej

Brian D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have harvested many deer with the 12,and I am here to tell you it is not fun to shoot,but VERY effective! From what I understand ,you can expect performance with a 20 gauge to be on par with a 45-70.That would make the 20 something intersting to look at.Keep us posted,and get a fully rifled barrel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about the 20 slug, but we were pheasant hunting during deer gun season two years ago in the afternoon. My buddy had not tagged a deer yet, but went with us to take a break from the blind. He was blocking while another friend and I walked the edge of a milo field. I saw him frantically jacking shells out of his pump gun, and drop somthing in. Then saw the buck we had flushed running right toward him. The buck was running dead away from us and I saw the 12 ga slug hit him as he ran 20 yds in front of my friend. He got him hi in front of the back legs that put him down instantly, but I'll always remember watching the back end of that deer getting shoved over about a foot, with the slug exiting, stretching the skin out before penetrating thru it. It was one of the old full sizes forster type slugs, but the power of that round is impressive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom