17 hornet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wademe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was just curious if anyone has shot a 17 hornet. I have read amazing things about them and was thinking about purchasing one... Have been wanting to get a small centerfire rifle that i can reload for that would be good on anything from small game to varmints... kind of a utility gun... On another site someone had recommended a 22 hornet to me, because i could legally hunt deer with it. I am not looking for a deer rifle and I have much better guns that can handle deer size game so thats not what I am looking for. just something very accurate and fun to shoot that can take a wide variety of game... had been thinking 17hmr but with the gun scare going on right now finding ammo is hard so I was just looking to get something i might find brass for to reload.... Thanks for your time

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't been around the 17 Hornet yet, but the old 17 Rem would work good for your description I bet. The only concern I would have on reloading the 17 Hornet would be how hard the brass might be to work with. I've heard the 22 Hornet is a pain in the buns to load for, but I've never done it.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up my ruger 77/17 .17 hornet today. Hope to get scope mounted and get it to the range this weekend. I'll post up pics later. I hope it's a legitimate 300 yd prarie poodle killer. I have 150 test rds loaded all made with Winchester .22 hornet brass necked down. With three different bullets and 5 different powders. And varying seat depths. I got mine from Henry's in Yukon. Last I asked he also had a savage. Mine will be used primarily for prarie dogs but I might also use it as a walking coyote rifle but I doubt it. I like the fac it uses less powder than a .17 rem so barrel fouling should be less. And the fact the rotary ruger mags for a hornet will work is a plus also.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up my ruger 77/17 .17 hornet today. Hope to get scope mounted and get it to the range this weekend. I'll post up pics later. I hope it's a legitimate 300 yd prarie poodle killer. I have 150 test rds loaded all made with Winchester .22 hornet brass necked down. With three different bullets and 5 different powders. And varying seat depths. I got mine from Henry's in Yukon. Last I asked he also had a savage. Mine will be used primarily for prarie dogs but I might also use it as a walking coyote rifle but I doubt it. I like the fac it uses less powder than a .17 rem so barrel fouling should be less. And the fact the rotary ruger mags for a hornet will work is a plus also.

That sounds really cool. I bet that is a screaming little .17

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
keep in mind that most factory loaded hornet ammo is not the legal minimum for deer which is 55 gr in oklahoma

wademe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah like I said I am not looking for a deer cartridge. I would like something i can reload and don't have to worry about barrel burn as much... just an all around good cartridge for small game and varmints...

Latest posts

Top Bottom