1911 for Dummies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just have to ask if you are new to 1911's and was looking to buy one what do you look for?

1. Excluding custom makers and other high end 1911's who makes the 1911's with the features you are looking for?

2. Which ones should you mark off the list because of past issues.

3. If your first 1911 would be for the purpose it was designed for, a fighting pistol, which one would you look at? Yes I know you can fight with the compact carry versions.

4. I am leaning towards one with more fire power and a longer sight radius.

5. What "bells and whistles" are must have?

6. If I get one of those one in a million that may need a little help from a smith who should I send it to?

The more I read and use other pistols I think I may be missing out on something. Oh and yes I am a Glock guy (G17 & G19), but I don't have missconceptions about going another way.

dcoop46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several with different features. Depending on your preferences, I look for a match or adjustable trigger, skeleton hammer, & usually ambi. safety. Lots of choices of sights depending on use. I was amazed to find out the Rock Island Tactical shoots so well. Well made, lots of features, & inexpensive. Hangs with the Gold Cup just fine. I usually have to change the grips to fit my hands. It all comes down to what fits you & your situation. Good luck.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd start out with a Govt model (5 inch) in a pretty much mil-spec configuration. If you buy it from a major manufacturer you shouldn't have any problems and if you do that's what customer service is for. Later on if you really get bit by the 1911, you'll have a good base pistol to have customized to your tastes.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Taurus.

Yes there are Mim internals but it's in my price range and I like the ones I've handled at the gun store. I will replace the hammer and sear with Wilson combat parts off the bat. Later will come the spring and trigger.

I think anyone who buys a entry level 1911 and leaves it stock is the kind of person who would be happier with a different gun. There are lighter guns. More reliable out of the box guns. There are higher capacity, smaller guns that require less tinkering. The 1911 is more for the type of person that loves to make a gun theirs, loves the history of the gun, and who is capable of tweaking it as needed to acheive the reliability the gun is capable of.

Hoss

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just have to ask if you are new to 1911's and was looking to buy one what do you look for?

1. Excluding custom makers and other high end 1911's who makes the 1911's with the features you are looking for?

2. Which ones should you mark off the list because of past issues.

3. If your first 1911 would be for the purpose it was designed for, a fighting pistol, which one would you look at? Yes I know you can fight with the compact carry versions.

4. I am leaning towards one with more fire power and a longer sight radius.

5. What "bells and whistles" are must have?

6. If I get one of those one in a million that may need a little help from a smith who should I send it to?

The more I read and use other pistols I think I may be missing out on something. Oh and yes I am a Glock guy (G17 & G19), but I don't have missconceptions about going another way.

1. I would look at the Rock Island Tactical. A good gun that is inexpensive with the upgrades that most people want.

2. I stay away from Taurus as a brand not just 1911. They seem to be crudely made.

3. & 4. If you are not looking to conceal the 1911 you may want to look at 5" or 6" double stack 1911. Off the top of my head STI, Para and Rock Island all make double stack 1911s. If you have small hands the grip may be too large for you.

5. Good sights not GI sights and a beavertail to protect your hand from hammer bite. Most of the other options are to taste.

6. If you have issues I would try to send it back to the manufacture first. If that doesn't work out or you would just like some upgrades to the gun I highly recommend Dr. Barry Greyson.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I look for 1911's I really only have 3 criteria but it really leaves a lot of 1911's out.

1. Needs to be made in Usa(SA excluded).

2. Must have an internal extractor.

3. Must not have a firing pin safety.

Latest posts

Top Bottom