1911 for Dummies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another vote for Accurate Iron...he knows 1911s...

Don't buy a POS 1911 - if all you can afford is a lower end, go with Plastic Fantastic. If you can get into the better makers, enjoy and don't look back...

Chocobo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1911Sooner whats the deal with the firing pin safety?

FPS=Parts that are not needed in a 1911.

If I was looking for my first 1911 I would probably get a RIA first. Shoot it a lot and after you get to know a lot about 1911 then get a higher end so you are not gonna do any damage to a high end 1911 for being new i.e. idiot mark.

Gun$linger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the rock island tactical or the taurus. I also used to stay away from the taurus as a brand but I got a 1911 in a trade and loved it. So I sold it to my Dad as his first gun. I can still take it out and shoot it but Dad needed a good reliable cheap gun and he liked 1911's so he got it. I looked for a used 1911 at the gunshow and I saw a lot of really nice para's and other higher priced guns but I didnt see any used taurus or rick island guns. Look for yourself kinda speak volumes when you see a table or case full of "better" guns someone decided to sell.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the rock island tactical or the taurus. I also used to stay away from the taurus as a brand but I got a 1911 in a trade and loved it. So I sold it to my Dad as his first gun. I can still take it out and shoot it but Dad needed a good reliable cheap gun and he liked 1911's so he got it. I looked for a used 1911 at the gunshow and I saw a lot of really nice para's and other higher priced guns but I didnt see any used taurus or rick island guns. Look for yourself kinda speak volumes when you see a table or case full of "better" guns someone decided to sell.

Higher end guns like Wilson, NHC, Brown etc... hold their value much better than the cheaper guns...

I fully agree with OKCShooter... do it right the first time, and you'll be thrilled with the results. :) If not... turn around and sell it for $20 or $30 what you paid for it... :)

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May I offer a slightly different perspective?

It seems people buy 1911s for one or more of three purposes:
1. shoot it
2. work on it ("improve")
3. look at it.
By the way, 1911s have fitted parts, and "drop ins" sometimes don't; fitted parts replacement is more certain, unlike your Glock.

I like to shoot them, but don't enjoy "improving" them myself, and have a pro gunsmith do any necessary work. If I wanted a pretty gun to look at, I would choose an old Kentucky dueling pistol with a figured maple stock, and hang it on the wall.

So what? Well, if you're like me, then you might look at what you want the gun to do and how much money you want to spend. For bare bones shooter reliability at a good price, there's the STI Spartan. Dawson Precision has them for sale and will add features if you want.
IMHO, if you can't or don't do quality "improvement" work yourself, then buy the gun the way you want it to start with. There are some bargains to be had in used guns. Best take a knowledgeable person with you.

One of my buddies bought a well-known economy brand 1911, and then started adding goodies. Never got it to shoot right no matter what he did. Finally took it to a pro and was informed he had a warped frame, not fixable, start over with a new gun.

For every story of someone who built a wonder gun for cheap the first time, there is a tale of woe floating around also; they don't always talk about it.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
iv only owned the officer models (kimber and colt) so i dont know enuf to tell you other than i love mine, you need the "high rollers"(like traxxis and them) to post for you to get any good answers...

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of my buddies bought a well-known economy brand 1911, and then started adding goodies. Never got it to shoot right no matter what he did. Finally took it to a pro and was informed he had a warped frame, not fixable, start over with a new gun.

For every story of someone who built a wonder gun for cheap the first time, there is a tale of woe floating around also; they don't always talk about it.

This happens because people are idiots. :)

You can't blame the 1911 platform for kitchen table gunsmiths.... and the majority of screw ups are related to people polishing those dang ramps and screwing them up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom