1911 Grip Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Wilson CQB Compact. Love the gun. Shoots great, feels great, looks great. I was into my ninth hour at the Wannamacher in Tulsa and I decide to pick up some bone grips for the CQB (See pics below). I personally like the look, but the right side grip wiggles a bit after torquing the grip screws down completely. What's the fix? Any special consideration for bone grips? Appreciate the help. Pics are with both the stock grips and bone grips. Feel free to chime in on preferences.
Thanks.
ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af345_rodman2112_Mobile_20Uploads_1272239200.jpg

ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af345_rodman2112_Mobile_20Uploads_1272238970.jpg

ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af345_rodman2112_Mobile_20Uploads_1272238967.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
the inner depth adjustment backs are to far in. try taking a pair of pliers,carefully of course, and back them out. they may even have a groove for a flathead to loosen them.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like them man, they look good.

As for the wiggle... that sucks. What kind of bone are they? Camel?

The wiggle is most likely that the hole is too large/deep on the back side. You can fill it in with some epoxy mixed with saw dust.

If you ever come to the Tulsa area, I'll do it for you. Shouldn't take long to do it.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like them man, they look good.

As for the wiggle... that sucks. What kind of bone are they? Camel?

If you ever come to the Tulsa area, I'll do it for you. Shouldn't take long to do it.

Good question, I never asked. I was too giddy with excitement (they were the only ones I found that looked decent). I may take you up on that adjustment. Thanks.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Wilson CQB Compact. Love the gun. Shoots great, feels great, looks great. I was into my ninth hour at the Wannamacher in Tulsa and I decide to pick up some bone grips for the CQB (See pics below). I personally like the look, but the right side grip wiggles a bit after torquing the grip screws down completely. What's the fix? Any special consideration for bone grips? Appreciate the help. Pics are with both the stock grips and bone grips. Feel free to chime in on preferences.
Thanks.
ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af345_rodman2112_Mobile_20Uploads_1272239200.jpg

ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af345_rodman2112_Mobile_20Uploads_1272238970.jpg

ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af345_rodman2112_Mobile_20Uploads_1272238967.jpg

Does the top of the grip screw escutcheon sit above or below the surface of the grip that the grip screw seats against? If the escutcheon is too long then the grip screw won't press against the grip and hold it tight. I had this happen on a set of smooth G10 grips. I've also found that with grips made from harder materials the grip screws tend to loosen up a bit easier.