1911 Grip Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does the top of the grip screw escutcheon sit above or below the surface of the grip that the grip screw seats against? If the escutcheon is too long then the grip screw won't press against the grip and hold it tight. I had this happen on a set of smooth G10 grips. I've also found that with grips made from harder materials the grip screws tend to loosen up a bit easier.

The top of the grip screw actually sits a little below the surface of the grip??

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The top of the grip screw actually sits a little below the surface of the grip??

Ok, you have a grip screw and a grip escutcheon. The escutcheon (bushing) is the part that screws into the frame and the grip sits over. The grip screw threads into the bushing. I just wanted to clarify that it isn't the grip screw I was talking about but the bushing which may be longer than the recess for the screw in the bone grip.

GoArmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traxxis is right... the wiggle is due to the holes being to large. Not an uncommon issue with bone or ivory grips. Fill in the hole as Traxxis suggest or find some shrink tube (Radio Shack used to carry) and add some girth to the screw just under the head. It may take more then one layer.
Good luck... and I love the look.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traxxis is right... the wiggle is due to the holes being to large. Not an uncommon issue with bone or ivory grips. Fill in the hole as Traxxis suggest or find some shrink tube (Radio Shack used to carry) and add some girth to the screw just under the head. It may take more then one layer.
Good luck... and I love the look.

h*ll just take a look at some of his (traxxis) pics and you will throw yours away and have him make you a set...

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
h*ll just take a look at some of his (traxxis) pics and you will throw yours away and have him make you a set...

Took your advice. Very nice work, Traxxis. What are we talkin about here? Do I need to sell any kids into slavery to pay for these? You got a website with more examples/stock? Just looking for compact 1911 grips.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took your advice. Very nice work, Traxxis. What are we talkin about here? Do I need to sell any kids into slavery to pay for these? You got a website with more examples/stock? Just looking for compact 1911 grips.

:) No brother, I'm cheap! :)

Click the link in my sig (grips for sale) to check them out.

Most are $40, the premium woods are $60. You'll know which ones are premium! :)

Don't get me wrong though, there are guys that are much better than I am online too, so I don't want you to think I'm the best one. :) Cheapest, prolly... :)