1911 lock-up problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a new RIA compact 1911. I've put about 50 rounds through it and about half the time the slide won't go into battery. It stops about 3/16" short. Only happens with a round in the chamber, and doesn't matter which mag I use. Is there a common cause for this? Thought it was grip, but ruled that out.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May just need to be broken in. Clean it good after each session. And keep shooting it.

It could otherwise be a number of things. Week spring, rough feedramp slowing down the bullets chambering, the slide catching too much of the magazine lips, etc.

If it doesn't stop after another 50 rounds, then I'd start looking at those other issues.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The major cause of misfeeds in an 1911 is limpwristing. Hold the gun so that it can fully cycle without your motions dampening it. If that doesn't work look into stull Danny said..

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm new to 1911's, and didn't know if this problem could be a "break-in" issue. Cycled it several times, and it feels like it's the disconnector dragging or hanging just a bit right before going into battery. I'm gonna check my grip again and run a bunch more ammo through it. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are shooting reloads it may be that the bullet needs seating a little deeper, if not like was said above keep shooting to see if it will seat in OK.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
burr or roughness around firing pin hole area.
extractor adjusted to tight.
feed ramp angle needs adjustment.
need heavier recoil spring.
main problem its a compact and needs somebody to take it apart and polish everything.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't mess with the feed ramp... it's a new pistol, if something is out of spec on it, I'd demand an exchange. Also, unless the feed ramp is REALLY rough, it's not likely to be it. The bullet doesn't actually "slide" up the ramp and into the chamber, it really only bounces up it once, maybe twice, then into the chamber.

Being that it's a new gun, did you take it apart, clean it, oil it, then reassemble?

Do the RIA's have a tapered chamber?

You don't happen to have an extra recoil spring do you? If so, swap it out and see what that does.

You might try the "Good Dr." if none of that works.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd shoot about 500 rounds (with minimal cleaning) before I did any thing to rash to this pistol. Even Colts and Kimbers need some break in (Wilson's and Baer's do too).

Run factory FMJ... and most 1911's need to run a little "wet" with lube during the break in period.

After a few hundred rounds...detail strip and look for wear patterns and high spots that may need some attention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom