1911 Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Rock Island 1911, and I have had no problems with it this far, but today, I went to rack the slide the slide release arm, came half way out. this has never happened before, and this is my first 1911 ao I was wondering if I should be concerened. this was the 2-3 time I've racked the slide since I had it field stripped for cleaning. any Ideas?

Kyle

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you were using proper handeling technique and had your right index finger along the frame as you were racking the slide. Likely you pushed the slide release with your index finger as you racked it and likely had pressure on the release as you passed the slide past the breakdown notch, popping the slide release out. It happens. Check the slide stop by looking at it throout the ejection port with the slide locked back and make sure the stop is not broken off. That also occassionally happens. If this continues call, Ivan in Nevada and he'll have you send it to him for repair. 1-775-537-1444.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like to me that you didn't get the slide stop in the barrel link.

When you are putting it back together, make sure that you can see the hole in the barrel link and make sure that you put the slide stop through it, otherwise, there is nothing holding the barrel to the frame... and that can't be good should you have to shoot it. If you can't figure it out, PM me and I'll give you my number and we can talk it out... but I think it's just a reassembly problem, so don't worry about your gun. Just don't shoot it until you figure it out.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think doctruptwn has the solution, I made sure it was properly connected when I put it in, it did not fall all the way out, just out far enough to swing around. I'm guessing I must of just pressed it and it slipped out easy since it was all lubed up from the last cleaning.

Thanks guys

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Make sure you got the spring with the 2 plungers in correctly.
The one with the step on it goes against the slide stop and the straight one goes against the safety. if its in backward its easy to tell cause there will be no resistance against the slide stop and it will flip-flop easily.
Alot of people push their finger against the tit sticking out on the right side
and don't realize it. As Doctruptwn stated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom