1911 problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading through this thread a second time, I’m fairly sure it’s just a worn sear causing the issue. I had a similar problem on an old Wilson and replacing the sear fixed it immediately.

It’s not hard to fix, but unless you’re pretty familiar with 1911’s, I’d recommend taking it to a gunsmith.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you tried cocking the hammer with the slide and checking to see if you can push on the trigger with your fingers to see if it uncocks? This would indicate potential hammer/dear issue.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bubba doesn't own a Kuhnhausen shop manual I'm pretty sure. Hopefully it's just a maladjusted sear spring. Likely bubba didn't understand the function of the 3 leaves of the sear spring nor the proper overall bend of it required for minimal safe function.

It's uncommon to wear out a sear; takes 10's of thousands of cycles to do that. More are prematurely ruined by Bubba getting after it with a file, grinder or coarse stone. A bit of lithium grease on the hammer/sear contact surfaces makes the wear longer.

If Bubba has shortened the hammer hooks below .018" or materially altered the geometry of the sear you may need to invest in some good parts.

Best of luck and do not load live rounds until it's restored. Then test first with 1 round in the mag, then 2 (repeat several times), then 3. It's no fun hanging onto a 1911 that's trying to run FA.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to thank you all for your input. I have guy who is wizard with 1911 hand guns and he is to go through it and bring it back from the dead. Even if I had to replace all the components I’m still ok on this one I think.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I pull the slide back the hammer will not always lock back. So from what I’m hearing I’m thinking is the sear worn or filed on by the goober.

R D Harmon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a new Remington 1911 that did same out of box. All I have done so far is put in a new set of Wolf springs but same problem still exists. I shall get it out and try things I have learned on this list. TNX for all the info. I will post whenever I figger it out..

Latest posts

Top Bottom