1911 problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok fellas I need a 1911 guru. Picked up a nice Rock island 1911 45 and 22 combo Saturday and low and behold it has issues. When test firing the hammer follows the slide forward after the first round. It chambers the next round fine but the hammer is already down. You can cock it and shoot the next round but you can also have a surprise discharge as I did because the hammer went forward when released. Could be as simple as the over travel screw being in the wrong position. Help.

Attachments

• 2FD97D71-E71F-4B65-AA0F-2F040DDCA0D1.jpeg
    2FD97D71-E71F-4B65-AA0F-2F040DDCA0D1.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 42

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be a number of things from springs to "gunsmithing" by someone not a gunsmith.

There's a few tests you can do to narrow down the cause but I don't know where to tell you to find them off the top of my head. Search for '1911 hammer follow test' and you'll find more information than you care to.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Highly recommend take it to a gunsmith, maybe request a new drop in trigger from “Cylinder and Slide” company. I wouldn’t load any live ammo in it until it’s repaired.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it new or used?
With the gun UNLOADED, cycle the action to see if the slide brings the hammer to the full cock notch. Like previous posters said could be several things and also has someone been tinkering?

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it new or used?
With the gun UNLOADED, cycle the action to see if the slide brings the hammer to the full cock notch. Like previous posters said could be several things and also has someone been tinkering?
It’s a used gun and a set of sear springs was in the box so I’m sure it was tinkered with.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re right on track. It’s probably either the sear spring doesn’t have enough tension on one or more of the legs of the over travel screw is too far in.

mr.haney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re right on track. It’s probably either the sear spring doesn’t have enough tension on one or more of the legs of the over travel screw is too far in.
I took the over travel screw out and it locks back part of the time on not other times. Doesn’t seem to be a half cock. I’m thinking sear spring wrong.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Ok fellas I need a 1911 guru. Picked up a nice Rock island 1911 45 and 22 combo Saturday and low and behold it has issues. When test firing the hammer follows the slide forward after the first round. It chambers the next round fine but the hammer is already down. You can cock it and shoot the next round but you can also have a surprise discharge as I did because the hammer went forward when released. Could be as simple as the over travel screw being in the wrong position. Help.
Is this the same 1911 you posted for sale yesterday with an upgraded trigger?

Latest posts

Top Bottom