1911 problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is your comfort level with disassembly and measurement? If you don't have a set of calipers and feeler gauges, I would probably hit up a reputable gunsmith to go through it. It could be as simple as swapping and adjusting a new sear spring or it could mean verifying hammer hook lengths, sear angles, pin locations, etc.

I would probably start with slowly hand cycling the slide to see if I could feel the hammer hooks engage on the sear as I slowly pulled the slide all the way back. If that didnt give reliable results, I would pull the grip safety out and reassemble everything else so I could watch what the hammer, sear, and disconnector are doing as I hand cycle the slide.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s a used gun and a set of sear springs was in the box so I’m sure it was tinkered with.

Ahhhhhh...the "tinkered with and not disclosed used gun". Sorry to hear that. This scenario is exactly how I learned to work on S&W revolvers as it happened to me twice on Gunbroker.

A decent 1911 gunsmith should be able to identify your issue and get it fixed rather quickly. Or you can start tinkering yourself if you have the aptitude and patience until you figure it out. At least if you start working on it now there is zero chance of you taking a serviceable firearm and making it unserviceable.

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom