1911!! - quest for the first pistol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
HiPoint 38? Or HiPoint 380?

.38 spl is cheaper than .357 Mag, but not a whole lot, none of the three (.380 acp, .38 spl, or .357 mag) are easy to find right now.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah..... I need to get over to the ammo forum and start reading because I didn't know there was a difference between .38 and .380. I'm not sure which the Hi-point i saw was. It was compared in the article i read to the Rugar LCP.. I *think* that is .380 acp.

B

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I would be more than happy to let you shoot my 38 special, or the sigma 9mm I have sometime to see what you think. They are not as nice or fancy as some members have - but I like them. I have 2 cheapy 380s and a heritage 22 revolver as well.

personally I am going to recommend something like 257 or 38 revolver - used taurus are usually cheap - and rossi is pretty inexpensive. They are no s&w or ruger but they aren't bad.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have nothing really against the High Point one way or the other, and I don't know how much money you want to spend but if you really want a 1911 you can get into a Rock Island Tactical for under $500, GI model for under $400.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blutch, skip the Hi-Point. If you were just going to have it as a home defense gun that you occasionally practice with, it might be a good idea.

However, from your posts, resistance is futile, you have been assimilated (into the gun nut ranks) and the Hi-Point would simply be a waste of your time. Not of your money, because you can almost always get your money out of them on a resale. They are heavy, ugly, balance like a brick, and cause other shooters to look down on you. (If you are as strange as I am, you may want to become a Hi-Point wizard just to confound the critics. I once won class C in a skeet tournament at the Dallas Gun Club with a Mossberg pump shotgun. You would have thought I introduced a social disease to the club. It was glorious.)

A revolver for home defense (and learn to shoot it double action please) is great. Your gun-resisting wife will grab a gun if she or you are really threatened, and just pulling the trigger is much better than messing with whatever it takes to make your auto fire. A Glock would also be okay, bucause they operate like a revolver in terms of simplicity. Never cock a revolver in a self defense situation. It's slow, and if you don't immediately shoot, you have a one touch accidental discharge in your hand.

I have a few guns that you might find interesting to shoot. PM me if you want to make contact, and I'll bring some hardware to H&H. CB

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just one more opinion. As if you need another one. BUY A REVOLVER. You can get a .38 or a .357 used for about $100 more than the Hi-Point.

BTW. I don't know what article you are referring to but if it was a gun compared to a Ruger LCP then it was likley a Kel-Tec .380. they are about $250-ish

Good luck and good hunting

BC

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna go against the grain and meld this thread with your other thread.

Why don't you buy a .22 to start out with. If you are able to get your wife to go shooting with you, which I highly suggest, if for no other reason than to debunk all the unrealistic ideas about guns from the movies (please forgive the anti-gun stereotype), you should start her out with the .22. There are plenty of fine .22's in your price range from the sounds of it.

Ammo cost = More shooting! :thumb:

You'll have time to decide and when you are both comfortable you can get a defense gun. But like others have said, please don't get the High Point. They are pure junk IMO. I'd much rather see you spend your limited funds on a good quality .22.

But if you go with a centerfire and want an auto I'd recommend the M&P. Just hard to go wrong with that choice. I have 2 of them. Glocks are good too.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Might check out http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22.html he has some deals sometimes, and of course always check the OSA classifieds!

I too would recommend a glock and pick up the 22 conversion kit.
The springfiled EMP is a beautiful weapon but its pricey.

I'll second summitgunbroker!! Mark Kitterman is a straight up guy to deal with. Call him, don't e-mail as he is very busy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom