1911!! - quest for the first pistol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
makes me want to get my old browning hi-power out of the gun safe.
shot very little... mostly sat in the gun safe...

have never taken to it like my Gold Cup 1911...

msanders

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blutch, if you really liked the way the EMP felt, then you may look at the GI Micro Compact also made by Springfield. It should fit you just about the same as the EMP. Doesnt look quite as good, and not as much on it as the EMP, but its a 1911, and way cheaper than the EMP. That one should run you between $400 and $500.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blutch, if you really liked the way the EMP felt, then you may look at the GI Micro Compact also made by Springfield. It should fit you just about the same as the EMP. Doesnt look quite as good, and not as much on it as the EMP, but its a 1911, and way cheaper than the EMP. That one should run you between $400 and $500.

Good luck finding one of those, like a needle in a haystack. They're also cheaper because they lack many options people want for carry. Such as nightsights and a beavertail. You take a GI compact and cut the slide, add nightsights, add a beaver tail and refinish you're back near a $1000.

msanders

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck finding one of those, like a needle in a haystack. They're also cheaper because they lack many options people want for carry. Such as nightsights and a beavertail. You take a GI compact and cut the slide, add nightsights, add a beaver tail and refinish you're back near a $1000.[/QUOT

I know what you are saying, plus the skeleton hammer and trigger. But its just an option if he cant have the EMP, and if he is sold on a 1911. Thats probably the cheapest 1911 out there.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blutch, I'm going to say this again. You should really look at a G19 or something of the like for an all around gun. This coming from one of the bigger 1911 fans on this site and an EMP .40 owner. The reason being is that a 3in 1911 can be finicky. I've got 400 rounds through mine but I wont trust it till I put 1000 rounds through it. Just as with ANY home defense gun or carry gun. I have had trouble with reloads that were loaded long but it's done fine on factory ammo. Either way, these guns are cool BUT they generally aren't as reliable as commander or government sized 1911s. Usually, they aren't recommended for a newbie. I especially wouldn't recommend one as your only platform.

A G19/23 can cover your needs for Home Defense, Carry, and taking classes. A compact sized 1911 really only has an advantage for carry. I'll tell you that if you take any pistol course with a micro 1911 that teaches reloads and goes through a signifcant amount of rounds, you'll wish you'd brought another gun.

A Glock or something of the like aint' gonna blow up your skirt like a micro 1911. But when you learn the basics and have at least one gun that can do everything, then you can drool like a kid in a candy store at other platforms and pick them up later. :D

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glocks to me invoke no real pride of ownership. They aren't pretty, have no particular outstanding qualities over other designs available and they're quite frankly, boring and monotonous. I have several and the only thing I can say about them is that they work every time without fail. Even their reliability is boring. There are no exciting moments where they invoke the tinkerer in me.

I talk frequently about how nice my revolvers are, how I like the ergonomics of my M&P, the accuracy of my Wilson 1911, etc. I rarely talk about my Glocks other than it's what I compete with. They just aren't something to get excited about. It's just a Glock. They are utilitarian tools, nothing more, nothing less.

That to me is the best reason to go Glock for a HD or CCW pistol. It takes all the focus off the tool and puts it on the shooter. If you do your part, it will do it's part without much thought on your end. JMO, YMMV

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Sorry, I don't like the glock that much. I like the M&P a lot.

But, tell me this.. why did I shoot that "micro" 1911 so well? I need to go back to the range and be sure a regular 5 " 1911 shoots as well for me. There is no doubt that this was the most accurate gun I have shot so far and I've shot 15 or more.

I'll put the M&P 9mm up against one of their full size 1911's.

I think I am going to go ahead and get one of those inexpensive Ruger GP100's in that group sale. I can swing that and it is a quality piece and will be something that will be useful in HD I think.

The EMP is something for "down the line" for sure. Wow.. this stuff IS addictive eh? :-)

Thanks again for all the advice. I will also check out that GI micro compact.. not sure where I could find one to hold let alone shoot.

You guys are the greatest... so free with advice and information.

B

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh also... i held the Beretta 92fs today. Felt good, but a little big in the grip. There is another group buy going to happen with that gun. it seems similar to the 1911. How is it different? Please say more than "Its less complicated." :-)

B

Latest posts

Top Bottom