2 Buy or Not 2 Buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my tax refund and is thinking about a Dillion 650 . I have it priced out that Brian Esmo for $1200 for press/ die set, 3 conv kits, 3 toolheads/powder dies, tool/parts kit, guges, 2 taper dies, upgrade kit, I have a Lyman spar T press and want a dillion so to cralk out ammo faster.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to churn out a TON of ammo, go with a 650. You could save some money going with a 550, and make 300-600 rounds per hour. I've been thinking I should have gotten a 650 instead of a 550, because the time I get to spend reloading is slim, and the 650 is supposed to be blazing fast. It sucks that the parts aren't interchangeable, or I'd upgrade.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have priced 550 vs 650 and there is only about a $100 differences between the two . I like the idea of the auto index , one less thing I have to do .

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will offer a dissenting opinion. If you want to be able to crank out several different calibers with relative haste, I'd get the 550. In my opinion the 650 is more of a standalone 1 caliber press. It takes a fair amount of time to switch everything on the 650 over with regards to large/small priming and large rifle/large pistol/small rifle/small pistol case feeding.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a 550 before it was a "B" and sometimes I wish for a 650 for the extra spot on the tool head. Manual indexing isn't a big deal. You get used to it. That said I bought mine 25 years ago and it is more than I need. There is setup time on the 550 too. If I could afford a 650 for every caliber I shoot I would buy them. It really amounts to the same thing as buying the next gun. Get what you want to get and what you can afford. Buy it and be happy. The If the 650 works as good as my 550 you will be happy.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two 550's up and running. One has a case feeder and that limits it to pistol calibers only. The other I keep so I can do rifle and oddball stuff on it. The 650 will do rifle or pistol either with the case feeder. If I had it to do again, I would go with the 650. I have way too much invested in caliber conversions to chunk a good working system. Blitzfike

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I agree with the above comments; look at the type of loading you do to decide. The manual indexing on the 550 really doesn't slow you down too much since it doesn't have a casefeeder anyway. The 550 is the press to have if you are going to constantly switch back and forth between a number of cartridges. If you are going to load 5K in one cartridge and don't plan on changing much, then the 650 is the one to have. I have a 550 and it has done all I've ever asked of it.

Good luck,

Alan

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok everyone I broke down today and ordered a 650 from brian enos setup for 40sw , exta primer tubes, toolheads , powder dies, 38/357 , 45acp conv kits , 40sw case ck($954.04). I have about $200 + of other things to order later .

Latest posts

Top Bottom