20/20 Story Police Officers Speeding (Non emergency) What does OSA think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every day I drive 66 miles each way on the Cimarron turnpike. I don’t give a crap what OHP does and they don’t seem to care that I pretty much keep it under 80. Live and let live. Really; a lot of folks need to get a life. When OHP goes by me at 85 I’m just glad they are going by.

Seriously, if this is an issue you get worked up over you need to be on bended knee thanking the Almighty that you have a life so good that this is worthy of your spare time.

Meanwhile somewhere in Haiti tonight a Mother bakes dirt cookies so her child’s aching stomach will kind-of feel just a little less pain.

Get a life!

That's really just off-topic and in a hail mary to try to discredit the topic itself.

Safe travel on the roadways is an issue for LEO just as much as it is for civilians, we all share the road together. Just because we can think of something worse in the world doesn't trump the topic.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did this awhile back. Dude stopped in the middle of the highway. I had to pass him of course and subsequently got pulled over. No ticket though :) won't be doing that anymore.

:rollingla I used to drive the turnpike between OKC and Tulsa every week (worked out of town). I got pulled over by the same trooper twice in the same week :lookaroun for traveling at what he considered to be an excessive rate of speed. (I had a car at the time that was pretty distinctive in appearance. I've only seen one other like it here in the state. At the time I only knew of 2 others in Oklahoma and those 2 were in Tulsa sitting on a car lot.) The second time he asked me if he was gonna have to call my husband in order to get my attention ... :shocked: :yikes2: If he ever saw me again I can assure you I was doing the speed limit just like every other little old lady on the turnpike ... :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:rotflmao:

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was an LEO for a short period of time until I decided it wasn't for me, and I'm real easy to please, just don't come at me with an entitlement attitude and we'll get along fine.

Glad you think I was lying, but I assure you, I've seen it more that once because most people and LEO's are quite predictable following their daily routines. An LEO has no right to stop traffic at an intersection by hitting his lights just so he can pass through everyone for that kind of cr@p.

I really doubt that excuse would work for an ordinary person who failed to stop at a light. Entitlement????

I didn't say anything about entitlements......Yes I have let people go because they felt ill, had to use the bathroom, etc...Maybe because the people I work with/for wouldn't do it, I can't fathom someone activating their lights just to go through the intersection for lunch. Did you follow them into the restaurant and watch them eat? Could it have been a disturbance at said restaurant? I work twelve hour shifts, every light I sit through burns up a couple minutes of my shift. As for the speeding etc....read the statute...clearly states what we can and can't do....Quit looking for a reason to be negative.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about entitlements......Yes I have let people go because they felt ill, had to use the bathroom, etc...Maybe because the people I work with/for wouldn't do it, I can't fathom someone activating their lights just to go through the intersection for lunch. Did you follow them into the restaurant and watch them eat? Could it have been a disturbance at said restaurant? I work twelve hour shifts, every light I sit through burns up a couple minutes of my shift. As for the speeding etc....read the statute...clearly states what we can and can't do....Quit looking for a reason to be negative.

The disclaimer: Long ago I was a Firefighter/EMT. I am not a LEO. Yes, I am going to defend ANYONE operating an emergency response vehicle.

:soapbox:

What with the lights being an idiot magnet (I once found myself in trouble for throwing a maglite at a car attempting to mate with the Big Red Truck while guiding traffic around it) I veeeeery, seriously doubt that ANYONE with a light bar runs it just to get to the coffee shop. I shall call boolshite on that piece of this discussion.

Do cops speed? Sure. Do I speed? On occasion, but rarely intentionally. Are light bars and aural warning devices, regardless of vehicle, idiot magnets? Absolutely. Do drivers act like dumbasses when they see a patrol unit? Most assuredly. Is it often safer for the driver of the emergency equipment to not run lights, or use them selectively, in traffic. Would you like your local responders to drive 20 MPH through your neighborhood @ 0300 running every warning device on the equipment and jar you out of your peaceful rest because, well, otherwise they are 'entitled'? Really, why? So you can all wander outside in your skivvies and become looky-loos, then a traffic hazard, and then get more units on-scene for crowd control? Should they all come screaming through the 'hood to get the nuclear soccer subdivision family dwellers out of the street? While I haven't seen an EVOC course in many years, it might just benefit some people to sign up and get an education on the subject.

This isn't just a LEO issue, but I have NEVER seen anyone hammer on Fire, Rescue, EMS, or even tow-truck or snow plow drivers. While it may not be ok to break traffic laws, sometimes logic and situational awareness is simply not compatible with regulations. See yer current administration as a prime example. We were instructed to STOP at EVERY intersection while running code and clear it BECAUSE of the moron driver factor. The traffic signal color had no bearing on this, and we had signal boxes in some of the equipment.

Hope you weren't bleeding out or trying to save your puppy waiting on us while we kept your neighbors from running kamikaze drills on the pumper, and creating another response need.

:rant:

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes - the last time I saw it was in Chickasha and it turned out I was going to the same place they were which was Mama Carol's on 4th. There were OHP, Sheriff's deputies, and locals meeting up to eat, they all seem to like that place from what I've seen. FYI, I drive all over SW Oklahoma every day and have for years. At present, I work deep nights though, and I absolutely follow the law no matter what (my job depends on it). It has happened numerous times that some LEO has ran up on my bumper and tailed me just a couple feet off my bumper trying to flush me out as a drunk, and yes, that pisses me off too. I know full well if I was to bobble one bit he'd hit the lights and I'd get pulled over. But frankly, when the guy is two feet off your bumper at 4am with his lights on bright going 55 it is hazardous to all involved. Also FYI, the last one that did that was a Rush Springs cop that likes to sit on 81 just under the rise of the hill (going south) where the speed limit changes. I passed through the 45 zone (at 44) and he was on me until I left his jurisdiction (blinding the cr@p out of me the whole way). I can tell stories like this all night long about LEO's in different towns, and some OHP's also, I see them often enough that I start to recognize the vehicles. But generally, trying to be fair, it is the smaller cities that have the worst problems with over zealous officers. I don't have a problem with a cruiser going a little over the limit, but I have a big problem, with over zealous and reckless actions from someone who has sworn to uphold to law. And no, I'm not painting all LEO's as bad, with my interests, I have known numerous officers most of which are fine individuals. But there are some...

Latest posts

Top Bottom