20 gauge, for Ducks, and as a "do it all" gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am looking for a shotgun, and have always been interested in the 20 gauge. I have had several different shotguns, started with Mossbergs, went to 870s and the Benelli's. Loved my Nova, and would like another one, but they may be out of my price range this time. My Benelli had a 24 inch barrel, and so it wasn't too big for home defense, but was big enough for most any hunting uses. I have seen people hunt with 20 and 22 inch guns with choke tubes, but so far can't find anything along those lines. I did find a youth 870, which I liked, it had a 21 inch barrel with chokes. The full size guns are not too big for me, but are close, and this gun is not too small for me and seems super handy.

Here's my question, for turkey, ducks, and other general purpose hunting, how handicapped would I be with a 20 gauge 870 youth gun? I primarily use a shotgun for goofing off, shooting clays etc, with a few trips here and there to kill doves, quail, rabbits and I hope to try ducks and turkey. I know you can get fancy extended choke tubes, would those make the 21 inch barrel more capable?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Since ducks and turkey won't be your primary use for the gun, I see no problem with the 20g..................and really don't see much problem if ducks/turkey were your primary targets. My wife and daughter have taken all of their turkey with 20g's, no special chokes, just high brass pheasant loads or 3" turkey loads. My daughters shotgun barrel is only 18" long. You won't find as many options for steel loads as 12g, but they'll bring down ducks over decoys just fine.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are looking for a good value, you should look at the CZ-720.
I have one and it is a very good all purpose semi-auto shotgun.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 20 ga Mossberg 500 that dad gave me about 35 yrs ago.....light, works great, never had a problem with it. My son is deadly with it.... I don't know about the new model 500's but I'd buy this one again in a heartbeat.
oh yeah,,,,modified choke barrel.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to hunt pheasant and ducks with a 20ga before we started "protecting the waterfowl" with steel shot.
Realistically, you lose about 15 yds off the effective "drop dead" range with ordinary steel shot, so I switched to 3" 12 gauge for waterfowl.

You can get the range back with tungsten shot, but $$$.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up shooting doves, ducks, quail, gophers and anything else that needed to be dispatched with a 20 gauge. I shoot a Browning A5 with an improved cylinder now and have for over 25 yrs. My daughters youth 870 Express 20 is as fast to swing as my A5. I do NOT feel compromised a bit. I also shoot an 870 Express 12 gauge that is quite old for turkeys but my go to is a 20.

Latest posts

Top Bottom