Steel shot question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdistheword

Marksman
Reaction score
I was hunting waterfowl when we switched to steel. I promise you that more birds were lost to crippling than lead poisoning in the early years. The performance just wasn’t there.
My great uncle talked about that when I was a kid. Said at the time Field and Stream published some research to the effect that a very large quantity of shot would have to be injested in a relatively short period of time to cause lead poisoning. He postulated that it was just to price out the average duck hunter.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
In the early days of steel, we got way better patterns with IC than even modified. When lead goes through a choke, the pellets conform to each other. When steel goes through the choke, they crash against each other and don’t deform. When they finally clear the barrel they kind of explode going every which direction.

Birdistheword

Marksman
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a cylinder bore and steel shot as long as the birds are within 25y. Whether 20g or 12g I never use anything smaller than #2 shot. Killed a lot of ducks with a 20g and so have my kids. Always used an IC in my Win SX3 20g.
I pretty consistently used IC in my 12 ga with better results than modified. I usually use the 20 for quail and doves so I guess I never patterned any steel in it. Do you mostly use a 1 oz load or less?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steel shot SUX. It has improved SLIGHTLY in the last 40 years, but not much.

When my son first started duck hunting at 9yo, with me. 20ga steel shot was PITIFUL. the only shells I would buy in 20 ga, were #3 in 3" magnum. Used in 870 with 23" IC, they patterned well and he was able to get some birds.

He was thrilled when he could finally use a 12 ga and 3" 1s for duck and BB or T (preferred) on geese.

Birdistheword

Marksman
Reaction score
Steel shot SUX. It has improved SLIGHTLY in the last 40 years, but not much.

When my son first started duck hunting at 9yo, with me. 20ga steel shot was PITIFUL. the only shells I would buy in 20 ga, were #3 in 3" magnum. Used in 870 with 23" IC, they patterned well and he was able to get some birds.

He was thrilled when he could finally use a 12 ga and 3" 1s for duck and BB or T (preferred) on geese.
That's exactly my predicament. One boy can probably run 3", the other probably isn't quite ready so I would prefer to keep him on 2 3/4". I might try to find some 2s or 3s. Thank you all for the help.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's exactly my predicament. One boy can probably run 3", the other probably isn't quite ready so I would prefer to keep him on 2 3/4". I might try to find some 2s or 3s. Thank you all for the help.
I had son on a skeet range, shooting 3/4 oz dove loads, to get used to the pump and hitting targets.

Duck season, heavy clothes, excitement and steel being lighter than lead. He shot the 3" and didn't know they were different.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need a little input on steel shot loads for 20ga. Took my boys duck hunting and had issues with needing several shots on some wood ducks. One gun is cylinder bore(I know, it's fixed choke but LOP fits him and I didn't have another barrel this season) so he shot first and the birds were right on us, number 7s first then number 4s. Both Winchester, didn't pattern well. Same load in a modified choke for my other boy. Both break skeet well and I had to bat clean up for both more than I thought I should. Suggested loads to try?
#7 steel would be like throwing handfulls of sand at those armour plated kamikazies. #2 & #4 would be a lot better.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep the 7's for teal or finisher shots on the water. Aim under the duck on the water, this is to get the shot to ricochet off the water surface and bounce into the ducks head. That sluch shot gets em' stopped. Steel #7's aren't worth a fiddle knocking big ducks down. I think your on the right track looking for some #2's or #4's for primary shooting. The other side is to look for some bismuth, but it's pricey!

I actually did a research paper a bunch of years ago when I was in school about steel shot (because I hated it!!). What I found out was we kill approximately the same number of waterfowl every year with both steel and lead shot. Lead shot kills some by lead poisoning, and we cripple/kill the same amount with steel. The end result was the birds of prey feeding on the lead poisoned ducks would transfer to the birds of prey and either kill them, worst case, or weaken the shell of their eggs and the eggs would crush in the nest, slowing reproduction. End result was fewer birds of prey, that's what makes us shoot steel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom