Steel shot question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdistheword

Marksman
Reaction score
Need a little input on steel shot loads for 20ga. Took my boys duck hunting and had issues with needing several shots on some wood ducks. One gun is cylinder bore(I know, it's fixed choke but LOP fits him and I didn't have another barrel this season) so he shot first and the birds were right on us, number 7s first then number 4s. Both Winchester, didn't pattern well. Same load in a modified choke for my other boy. Both break skeet well and I had to bat clean up for both more than I thought I should. Suggested loads to try?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use this stuff if I get my A400 out. I’m pretty sure I use either an IC or mod choke. Can’t check, the dogs will absolutely lose their minds this morning if I start pulling guns out. But it’s all gonna depend on what works for your particular shotgun.

IMG_3494.jpeg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
25 yards is pretty close and kudos to those that get them in that close.
Decades ago when i hunted ducks steel shot was not required and I began with a single shot 20 gauge.

#4 lead and I was so sad every time I pulled the trigger.
It just did not get the job done as well as my buddies 12 gauge he always had to shoot my duck.

2 years later I got a 12 gauge and used #4 lead and it was amazing.
Quick kills.
Many years past and I decided to hunt again for birds and steel was mandatory and I got #4 steel.

It reminded me of the days using the 20 gauge.
Today I feel if it is Heavi- shot in #4 it may work (I have not tried it) but for me I will never send anything at them less than #2.

But I do not get 25 yard shots either. Actually measure 25 yards that is darn close.
Ours were usually a bit past 40 yards and I hear new steel loads are way better than what I was using many years ago.

Everything I typed is probably outdated.
Heavi-Shot was not even made yet.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hunting waterfowl when we switched to steel. I promise you that more birds were lost to crippling than lead poisoning in the early years. The performance just wasn’t there.
I’ve probably told this story before, but back in the late 70’s when lead was still legal, we had permission to hunt a spring fed pond on my Dad’s cousin’s place south of Jet. The pond was in a bowl, so when you crawled over the bank, the ducks had a ways to fly up to get to eye level. It was a honey hole where we always killed ducks. On one hunt, I took a Hail Mary shot with my old bolt action full choke 20 ga and killed a duck at close to 100 yards, and it is still the only banded duck I’ve ever killed.
IMG_0196.jpeg

Birdistheword

Marksman
Reaction score
We use #4’s in steel for ducks in the 20’s. Remember steel tends to pattern 1 choke tighter than lead, so dont be suprised if mod produces a “ full” pattern width.. if you have time shoot a test pattern with the mod and ic on paper..
Thank you sir, I had not thought about that, I'll try that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom