2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Ed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Given the rapid depreciation it just doesn't seem like a good investment to me.

Uh, what? One of the best things about a Jeep, or at least the Wrangler, is the fact that it's a good investment. It was rated in the top 10 best investments this year or last with Yahoo! Auto, Car & Driver, or some other car editorial. When I was shopping, I found 4 year old JKUs going for the same price as brand new. Wranglers hold their value quite well.

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/

Jeep Wrangler ranks #3.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.jeep.com/en/limited-editions/wrangler-willys-wheeler/ for those who are too lazy to find the actual site to play with the features.

Anyway, if you are wanting it for the looks and a little puttering in the mud as well as snow and ice, go for it. Or at least go for it if you don't have a house to pay off. And for powertrain the only options are stick or automatic so don't think it will do what the older models with v8's will do either. This is pretty well made to be a daily driver with a little pep to go through the mud IMHO. I honestly don't see it doing the major "trail" or crawling activities the way it sits without about another 10k into it and even then it will be lacking.

If you plan to use, abuse, trail, and maybe even rock with it find something used and build it the way it should be. No point in worrying about scratching the paint on a financed vehicle, let alone rolling it and then spending 5k to 10k to fix it right. You can probably find one in decent shape around ten years old with a blown engine pretty easy, then do a engine and tranny/transfer swap to a 4.7 from a Cherokee if you want to have some more torque and power. If you go older you will have more options around.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the new jk's you can add structure to the existing rollbar

I think that is still not that great a roll bar set up, if they are still just bolted to the body. I think they are mostly for looks. With a really serious series of rolls, the bar likes to push through the body. You need it to go to some big metal under the body. The windshield comes right off on this one, by pulling the hinge pins.

This cage goes to thick steel plates that are the rock sliders, bent under the body that go to the frame. Don't waste your money on bolt on junk unless you just want it for looks!

Wish I still had pics of the underside still. Damnit.

I gotta get some orange paint on this new (to me) YJ.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Super Dave you make a great point that I tried to make. The roll cages Super Dave and I speak of are not for the curb hopping urban warriors. If you are worried about a tire rubbing or scratching paint you don't need a better roll bar.

Nice looking YJ SD

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. That is, well was my 77 model CJ7. 360 from a wagon, granny 4, D20, D44 in front and D60 in rear, both with ARBs, a welder and air compressor under the hood, and a lot of extra metal. The rock sliders went up under and to the roll cage, and over the frame. Please take notice of the hand throttle on the shifter.

My "new" Jeep is a 94 YJ. It is stock, and short of a different differential, it will mostly stay that way.... maybe. I was thinking of doing a roll cage like the other one, so I can roll over, AND not have anything attached to the windshield, which I prefer folded down as much as possible.

This was my daily driver:

And this is the thing I drive most every day now. Now where did I put that orange paint?:

I know. Windshield attached to roll bar = gay. I am working on it.

Hijack over. So, you gonna buy that cream puff? If we had lottery money I would totally have one of those 4 door things with no top or doors. Do the windshields fold down on them?

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an owner of both a 48' Willys & a 14' Wrangler all I can say is "If you have to ask you don't need one."

I NEED your orange camo Willys. I have some Chevy parts that have been waiting a while for one like that. Torch is in hand, and ready! :flamed:

Only joking. I could never do that to that sweet little thing.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like the WW, but I chose the Rubicon for it's D44 front, lockers, 4.10's and elec sway discos.
Got one on order for the wife, she's already bought a 3" lift, bumpers, big brakes, rock rails and 37's. I need an extra garage for all the extra crap :-)
And yes, I'll wheel the crap out of it when it gets here!

Latest posts

Top Bottom