2017-18 controlled hunts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to apply and notice the below:

All deer hunts (archery, muzzleloader, gun and hunts for persons with disablilites) are now combined into ONE category - category three. You can select up to five hunt choices from the 91 deer hunts offered in category three.

CbarCranch had said the archery draws have good potential, but I'm guessing you can't apply directly for them anymore?

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to apply and notice the below:

All deer hunts (archery, muzzleloader, gun and hunts for persons with disablilites) are now combined into ONE category - category three. You can select up to five hunt choices from the 91 deer hunts offered in category three.

CbarCranch had said the archery draws have good potential, but I'm guessing you can't apply directly for them anymore?
Been combined into cat 3 for a while.

No, you can't get drawn for a rifle hunt, a muzz hunt and a archery hunt, you have to select a weapon of choice or mix n match, but only 1 deer draw/year.

You can always target archery only draws with your 5 picks.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been combined into cat 3 for a while.

No, you can't get drawn for a rifle hunt, a muzz hunt and a archery hunt, you have to select a weapon of choice or mix n match, but only 1 deer draw/year.

You can always target archery only draws with your 5 picks.
Can you explain that? How would you target archery on your picks?

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might not be understanding your question.

If I was looking to get an archery hunt, I'd make all 5 picks for Archery only hunts. The first 3 picks would probably be for McAlester(if you hunt primitive) and the last 2 from somewhere else.

You might look into it if you're sold on archery, you might be able to use a bow on a rifle or muzzleloader hunt. I don't know if they allow that or not..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you explain that? How would you target archery on your picks?

On the application, the hunts are listed by date and the method of take for those dates. Just go down the list, hi-lite the ones marked archery, then go back and narrow the list down to locations and dates.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the application, the hunts are listed by date and the method of take for those dates. Just go down the list, hi-lite the ones marked archery, then go back and narrow the list down to locations and dates.
Maybe I'm missing something, when you drop down the list there's not archery, rifle or anything of that sort listed. It's only locations....as in the pic. Is it the code in front that is associated with "type"?

Attachments

• con_hunt.jpg
    con_hunt.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhh,...now I see your problem. Click on this, it should show you how the hunts are broken down along with the hunt numbers for each specific hunt...

Make a list of the hunt numbers you want to apply for, then select the number off the pulldown menu.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man have they got this screwed up. I opened up the application, and see what your saying.
Plan 2: go to the home page of the website. After it opens, scroll down the page to controlled hunts. Once that opens, select option 5, controlled hunts, and open it. There you will find the hunt selections with the method of take listed.
Why in the hell they make you open a seperate page I have no idea and will email my concern to them.

Here is the path and where you will end up.
3b847385abc42b80db8b4d11bd3924ff.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never applied but I'm going to today. Can you apply for as many as you want or is there a limit.

There is a limit. The instructions after you get into them are very self explanatory. Deer hunts, your allowed 5 choices, and so on. There is a page on the main website I believe that tells one how to improve their odds at getting drawn. The application won't close if there are errors until they are corrected.

Latest posts

Top Bottom