2017-18 controlled hunts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crap I forgot all about this. Hope I still have time to enter.

LOL, the old members have been ragging on each other for fun. Best forum on OSA IMHO. Have fun with each other, and occasionally have some fun like in this thread.
I can't think of any other forum in this whole internet site that has produced more good information for its members than this one.
You have until May 15.

A lot of us on this forum have hunted/fished together. Pretty solid group in my opinion.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pay attention to dates, many are weekdays, don't sign up if you don't plan on going. Antelope hunts require legwork to get a property to hunt except for a small area of public land.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pay attention to dates, many are weekdays, don't sign up if you don't plan on going. Antelope hunts require legwork to get a property to hunt except for a small area of public land.

It's maddening the amount of people that don't even show up for some of these hunts. Check your dates !

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's maddening the amount of people that don't even show up for some of these hunts. Check your dates !
Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Yep! They desperately need to have standby openings available. Why let those spots go to waste!? Especially since you can charge them the typical access fee so many areas charge. That's just more money in the agencies pocket.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep! They desperately need to have standby openings available. Why let those spots go to waste!? Especially since you can charge them the typical access fee so many areas charge. That's just more money in the agencies pocket.

They used to do the standby thing at Salt Plains anyway. You could call in after the draw and put your name on a list. I got called for a mid week doe hunt once. I was told they quit because it was rare to get anybody to show up with a last minute call.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What's the deal with Salt Plains? They always offer lots of tags every year, but the success rate seems low. Terrain?

Depends on the area, can be fairly open, or just about impenetrable and there's plenty of the latter. Haven't really looked at his years offerings but usually any of the buck hunts require you to shoot a doe first.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the deal with Salt Plains? They always offer lots of tags every year, but the success rate seems low. Terrain?
Like Okie said, the terrain has a lot to do with it. I've been on 5 hunts there, and scored on all of them, but it was tough a couple of times. The wilderness area is particularly tough to hunt. My son, Buddy, and myself drew the wilderness rifle hunt back in the late 80's I think it was. First year that it was opened for hunting in 45 years we were told. The folks that drew the archery hunt never hunted it and left the first day saying it was impossible. Muzzle loader group only had two stay and they stayed a couple of hours and left. Never came back.
12 rifle folks drew it, and our party is the only one that stayed. There are tons of deer in that area, but seeing anything other than their feet as they run away is tough. The tamarack, salt cedar and cat tails in the marshes are pretty much impenetrable unless your crawling. Zero trees other than along salt creek, but the rest is just brush and marsh. I did manage to take a doe on that hunt, which was required first, but never saw a buck. Took us all afternoon until after dark to get that doe back to the truck. Kept dragging, loosing our way trying to find ways back, and usually ending up in the cat tail marshes that were impossible to get through. They pulled the jaw on her. 9 years old.
Now Salt plains schedules the premium hunts on the opening days of Archery, Mz and Rifle seasons. I quit putting in for them for that reason. I can kill does until I'm tired of it on my place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom