2017 elk hunting trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like an awesome trip. When I was younger I knew a family in northern New Mexico with a ranch I could go hunt on, it was fun.

After a couple miles of walking the mountains and a 4 hour recovery, I wasn't thinking how much fun I was having. Lol
But, the next day you forget the pain and exhaustion and can't wait to do it again.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice story, love hearing about it. Going hunting next week and was curious about something:

What rifles and ammo did you guys decide on and why.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice story, love hearing about it. Going hunting next week and was curious about something:

What rifles and ammo did you guys decide on and why.
I use a Browning Stainless A-Bolt in 30-06(synthetic stock) using a hand loaded 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullet that crosses the Chrono at 3019 fps. Max load in my rifle. Its very light and magazine loaded it weighs in at under 8lbs. Mountain rifle weight. Shot it since the 80's on deer, and finally elk, only changing the bullet for thin or thick skinned animals. Kicks like a freeking mule at that weight.

My buddy, 1/2 my age and weight considers facebook gun experts to be the epitome of elk hunting knowledge although none have ever been and none have ever shot an elk, nor seen the internal damage of any bullet after it has passed through an elk body.

He opted to buy a .338 Lapua Magnum with a Schmitt-Bender Scope and fold out bipod that runs around 4 grand for the scope alone because that was the minimum round to take an elk according to the experts. 16 pound rig. It is a great rifle, and the scope is outstanding.
When he went after his wounded animal, he asked to carry my rifle. I carried his across to the other mountain where mine laid. If it had been mine, I would have thrown that POS boat anchor into the canyon. Miserable to carry and bipods are worthless in the terrain we were hunting in. Just added weight. Other areas, maybe.

People overthink what it takes to kill an elk. You need a bullet designed to handle the thick skinned, and heavy boned animals combined with a rifle that you can carry from daylight to dark and shoot accurately. Shooting uphill and down hill requires a lot of ballistic knowledge about bullet flight at high altitude and gravity's effect on the bullet when fired at extreme angles at longer ranges. Knowledge of wind drift is totally important as well at the longer ranges. In the mountains the wind may change directions and velocity before you bullet reaches its destination.
LOL, all that technical crap aside, in my OP I was shooting at a high shoulder shot and hit her right between the eye and ear resulting in an instant drop because the wind drift was much more than I was feeling as I was behind one mountain, shooting across a valley to another mountain. My elevation was correct. The wind going down that area between the mountains was really high. Lucky is a good thing!

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I'm hoping to draw out for elk in NM this year, not expecting anything since they have really dropped the non-resident draw percentage... Here's to hoping!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think Tim learned a thing or two about elk hunting this week Dennis?????????????????????????????? I knew a fella that hunted elk with a 6 mm, but he only took head shots. I have killed an elk with my .308 years ago using a180 grain silver tip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom