2021 rifle season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ask because I'm a bit curious and maybe unecessarily miffed but why would your buddy shoot a spike?
Some folks are just meat eaters @retrieverman had a discussion about spikes tonight and we both agree but I’ll leave others to that theory but like I said some just hunt for meat which I myself have no problem with I would rather see them shoot a spike and discard the horns than a trophy and discard them where someone else would appreciate them

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To build on what Kwaynem said, if a person is only hunting for meat, why shoot a buck at all? In many/most cases, a spike is going to be a yearling buck, and a mature doe will definitely have more meat.:anyone:

I’m just asking a question and don’t have a dog in this fight. Shoot whatever the heck you want as long as you’re not hunting on my place, because my place has stricter rules than ODWC.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the record I support anyone that takes a legal deer with whatever legal weapon they wish to use.
There are a couple guys I used to work with that lease 40 acres a half mile from one of the farms. They are self proclaimed meat hunters and could care less about how big the racks are.
During some of our friendly conversations over a dead fork horn in their truck I commented that if they had let that buck go one more year, it would yield another 20 or more pounds of venison.
Don’t know if that soaked in or not, but it’s something to consider.
With up to 5 does capable of being taken each year, if I were focused on filling the freezer, does would be the target.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with shooting a doe for meat over a doe but at the same time I can remember a time when I had a baby newly married and had a buck tag and a doe tag and both got got filled and we were very thankful for the meat I was only making $7.50 an hour as a welder back then I let a few bucks pass the past few days but some just hunt because they love going and it supplements their income like Retrieverman said it’s not on our place it’s theirs wherever that may be

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with shooting a doe for meat over a doe but at the same time I can remember a time when I had a baby newly married and had a buck tag and a doe tag and both got got filled and we were very thankful for the meat I was only making $7.50 an hour as a welder back then I let a few bucks pass the past few days but some just hunt because they love going and it supplements their income like Retrieverman said it’s not on our place it’s theirs wherever that may be
Yep, there was a time when deer or small game was the only meat in the freezer.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
To build on what Kwaynem said, if a person is only hunting for meat, why shoot a buck at all? In many/most cases, a spike is going to be a yearling buck, and a mature doe will definitely have more meat.:anyone:

I’m just asking a question and don’t have a dog in this fight. Shoot whatever the heck you want as long as you’re not hunting on my place, because my place has stricter rules than ODWC.
For the record I support anyone that takes a legal deer with whatever legal weapon they wish to use.
There are a couple guys I used to work with that lease 40 acres a half mile from one of the farms. They are self proclaimed meat hunters and could care less about how big the racks are.
During some of our friendly conversations over a dead fork horn in their truck I commented that if they had let that buck go one more year, it would yield another 20 or more pounds of venison.
Don’t know if that soaked in or not, but it’s something to consider.
With up to 5 does capable of being taken each year, if I were focused on filling the freezer, does would be the target.
I'm going to picke these two out of the replies. This isn't personal, it's just obvious on this board. First there's bitching about a guy who kills deer illegally, then we ***** about guys who kill them legally. Which is it? Should we shoot big ones at night or the small ones that show up during the day? FWIW, I'm not a horn hunter. I'd shoot the first deer out in the field. But some of the rules make it hard. There are WMAs that only allow bucks to be taken on the certain days or in some cases, the entire season on that WMA. I play by their rules, so don't get mad when I shoot a spike. I'm not going to put myself in everyone elses shoes. They abide by the rules and they are happy with their choices. I'm happy for them too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to picke these two out of the replies. This isn't personal, it's just obvious on this board. First there's *****ing about a guy who kills deer illegally, then we ***** about guys who kill them legally. Which is it? Should we shoot big ones at night or the small ones that show up during the day? FWIW, I'm not a horn hunter. I'd shoot the first deer out in the field. But some of the rules make it hard. There are WMAs that only allow bucks to be taken on the certain days or in some cases, the entire season on that WMA. I play by their rules, so don't get mad when I shoot a spike. I'm not going to put myself in everyone elses shoes. They abide by the rules and they are happy with their choices. I'm happy for them too.
I’m not complaining about anyone taking any legal deer they wish with any legal means of take.
As stated by another a mature doe will almost always have more meat than a button buck or a first year fork horn, so if one is a meat hunter, it would make more common sense to take the animal yielding the most meat which would be the mature doe.
That’s the only point I’m trying to make.

Latest posts

Top Bottom