204 Ruger vs .22-250 for night coyote/bobcat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking at options for those two. Would be on a dedicated night predator hunting rig with a night scope. Looking for "point and shoot" ballistics out to 300 or so.
Any reason to choose one over the other? Does handloading make one a no-brainer over the other?
To even the playing Field, let's say it's going to be a bolt gun with an appropriate length barrel for max performance and it wont be something I'm doing lots of stalking with. Lastly, I would be using a suppressor so that should mitigate some of the recoil differences.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 204 AR. I am almost astounded at how well it shoots.

Both are fantastic calibers but the 204 isn't legal for deer hunting (not sure if that factors in at all).

As mentioned above, you should check ammunition availability on both before making a decision.

Eta; I read your post again and noticed you mentioned loading for it. If you're planning to do so anyway, I'd look for a 250 with a fast barrel (8 twist or so). It becomes a way more versatile rifle with the faster barrels.

Last edited:

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been intrigued by night hunting yotes, but don't own any land.
I'm not sure what area you're in but I've hunted them all over public land. If you like hunting, varmint/predator hunting is about as good as it gets! The new foxpro callers are flat out amazing (incredible results).

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go with the 22-250 , with handloads in mine and a 200yd zero I'am .8 inch high at 100yds, 0 @ 200yds, .4 low @ at 300 yds and .8 low @ 325 yds. Impact from 0 to 325 yds never changes more than 1.6 inches. That is pushing a 55 gr soft point at 3960 fps out of a bull barrel.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep...you bust a coyote or bobcat at night with a "night scope" here in OK...it had better be in the process of killing livestock or poultry. That is the only time you have a green light to kill them by any means necessary. Otherwise you need a permit from the local game warden and a shotgun using #6 shot or smaller (for coyotes)...bobcats are a no-go all together

I've put coyotes down that were in my herds at night, harassing calves. Between coyotes and feral dog packs I've lost calves before...the last being in the spring of 2019. I kill everything now...but it helps to stay on the right side of the law.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep...you bust a coyote or bobcat at night with a "night scope" here in OK...it had better be in the process of killing livestock or poultry. That is the only time you have a green light to kill them by any means necessary. Otherwise you need a permit from the local game warden and a shotgun using #6 shot or smaller (for coyotes)...bobcats are a no-go all together

I've put coyotes down that were in my herds at night, harassing calves. Between coyotes and feral dog packs I've lost calves before...the last being in the spring of 2019. I kill everything now...but it helps to stay on the right side of the law.
Some exceptions can apply with a thorough plan and on site meeting with Game Warden. I did this about 10 yrs ago when I had 3 packs of coyotes that had started preying on calves. Lost 4 calves, had 6 maimed during calving season. Ended up taking 24 coyotes off that place over 6 month span, my problems went away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom