Weekend Coyote Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother and I went out to Cheyenne over the weekend to call predators. Had a great time. First stand Saturday had one sneak in at the 22 minute mark and I got him at 30 yrds. It was my first and last for the weekend although I had a couple more chances and missed. We called in a pair about 11:30 that morning and watched them come in over a hill about 350 yrds away. The first one spotted us before we could get a shot when he got to about 50 yrds and bugged out. The partner must have seen him coming back and locked up at 250. My brother smoked him with his .204 and knocked him down. He got back up after some flops and ran about 50 yrds before he stopped broadside and Darrell hit him again. The first one then stopped about 200 yrds out and I should have nailed him but shot over his back. That ended the first morning and I had to go to Edmond to my grandson's birthday party and Darrell deer hunted the last night of bow season.
Next morning we started out with a little more wind but overcast and cold. Called one in on the first stand and he came in downwind at about 150 yrds. I could just see his back and ears behind a hill till he popped into an small opening. I had to twist to my right in an awkward postition to make the shot before he got in the brush. He spun around at the shot and ran. We both thought I hit him but never found him. Next stand we called for 20 minutes and I had him turn off the caller and hit the pup distress sound for about 20 seconds and one came running. Caught Darrell moving but he made a running shot at 150 yrds and busted his hips and hit him again to finish him. We called in one more at 11:30 and he got in close and Darrell got him at 35 yrds or so. Had a great time. We were hunting with Bend of the River Outfitters. He put us up in his bunk house and went out with us a little on Sat morning and then turned us loose on several thousand acres. We walked up on 5 other coyotes between stands but only got a shot off at one, which I rushed trying to beat my brother to the shot and missed. I did make a great shot on a porcupine at 250 yrds+ on the walk out Sunday morning but I wish it had been on the other coyotes. Would have been nice to have gotten 7 instead of 4. Her is a pic of Darrell with the last coyote of the hunt. The outfitter got a pic of both of us with the first day's pair but I have not got a copy of it.

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_1_16_11Coyote.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom