22-250 for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Better place the shot right where it needs to go. My daughter shot her first deer with one, right through both lungs. One of the tougher blood trails I've worked on a deer hit where it should've been. The doe made it 125 yards. I know a single deer / round isn't scientific, but that was enough for me. She shot her next deer with my 30-06.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a good friend that is a biologist. Elk and whitetail are among the free range animals. When they are doing sampling for disease research he shoots a tack driving 22-250 with Barnes 50 grain TTSX. Pretty routine for 1 shot quick kills on deer and elk.

Does it mean it is perfect for everybody? Nope it doesn't. Some folks couldn't hit the ground with their hat if they had 5 chances.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Killed a few deer with the .22-250, and a ton with the same weight bullet in .223.
The added velocity of the .22-250 increases the internal damage tremendously.
It is certainly a good round for whitetail when properly placed just like any .30 caliber bullet would need to be the same.

Latest posts

Top Bottom